Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux installation question

Linux installation question

This question actually concerns the master boot record. I am trying to install Linux as a 2nd OS on a box that has win2k pro on it now. I am confused as to whether I will be able to boot Linux once installed. I have a 40 GB hard drive 30GB of which is dedicated to win2k and I have left the remaining 10GB for Linux. I have read that in order for Linux to boot it must reside within the first 1023 cylinders of the drive (which it won't), but I have also read that LILO can boot both OS's, or, conversely, that the win2k bootloader can boot both. I just would like to know the facts before I render win2k unbootable.

While on the subject, can someone please explain the boot process? From what I have read the boot loader resides on the first sector of the disk. If you can make the boot loader 'point' to any OS, then why is there a 1023 cylinder limitation?

I appreciate the help. Thanks.
    \"I\'d like to think the best of me is still hiding up my sleeve.\" -John Mayer

Lilo can boot both OSes. To dual boot into windows you have to edit lilo.conf witch is located in /etc. Add the lines: "other=/dev/hda1" assumming windows is on the first partision of the first hard drive and I would also add "lablel=win". This might already be in this file and all you have to do is uncommit the lines by removing "#". Type "lilo" in the command promt after you make changes. Make boot floppies and back up important files before you install or make changes. The 1023 cylinders limmintation I beleave is only on older bios (i could be wrong though) from what I rember from the warning when installing Debian.

you have to install win 2k pro first, then install linux, if it is RH, then in the installation process, there is an option to either load lilo or grub (both of them are boot loaders) you have the option of having RH or win2k to be the default. I had to use lilo cause i couldnt get grub to work....

or you can try search the forums for the previos questions on this topic.

here is one of them...

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...692#post558692

read the manuals for the distro! Like "rollin5150" said Theywill tell you to load win2k first and how to partition the drives.

With 7.2, 7.3, 8.0 I use Lilo because that is what I am used to and can get working; I tried using GRUB ( RH now defaults to GRUB ) but the RH manuals don't give enough info to set it up so it works.

since I found the following: ( I told Shadowman, but he ignored me ;-) )
    try
    http://www.gnu.org/manual/grub/html_mono/grub.html

more to the point, to remap ( or swap ) the hard disks and/or partitions to boot another OS.

http://www.gnu.org/manual/grub/html_...ecific%20notes
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

I'll leave the Linux Solutions to the Guru's but i can explain the boot process for you.. or at least attempt to....

When you power on the first thing that happens is your computer runs it's POST (Power on Self Test.
    ROM BIOS Startup program checks out hardware resources and needs and then assigns system resources (IRQs, DMA Channels, I/O Addresses and Memory Addresses). Then it begins the start-up process by gathing all your config information from various sources (DIP Switches, Jumpers, CMOS Chip) and compares it with your hardware that's installed.
    The next step is for the ROM BIOS Startup program to find the OS (For this we'll assume an floppy, hdd boot order with no floppy inserted)... The Bios looks to floppy and finds nothing so then it turns to the hdd. The Bios talks to the MBR (Master boot record)
    -- Side Note -- The Layout of your harddrive is Partition Table which contains The MBR Followed by Information on your logical drives followed by the identity of the boot drive. Then your drive starts (or firstr drive if it's partitioned) this begins with your OS boot record. Followed by the rest of the hdd
    --End Note --

The MBR turns to the HDD and attempts to find the OS Boot record. in the case of DOS (simplicity at it's best) It finds the OS Boot Record, which in turns tries to find the boot files (For dos - IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS.... )If it successfully finds the boot files then the OS loads and takes over, loading it's drivers and software and anything else it needs.

Anyways there's a basic breakdown of how your computer boots.

ok, it would help to know what distro your gunna install, everyone seems to want red hat, me personally i like SuSe. umm, that installing within first 1024, dont worry about it, i mean if it was possible you could install Linux on a kleenex and it would boot fine, just partition the HD and when it asks where to install Linux point it to the 10 GBs you want it on and make that the root or / partition, then make the swap (double your ram usually works fine) and grub or lilo works fine and will boot both Windows and Linux, i use grub, now for using something like boot maic, usually youll have an option like say i already have a bootloader leave my MBR alone, and youll be fine just make sure you add Linux as an option to your boot loader unless you dont already have one in wich you can use grub or lilo like i said, and, follow along in the book, its there for a reason also, in the book usually they have a section for dual booting with Windows, so read that and youll be ok.

also, back up everything for just in case, and if you reboot and nothing works, well, pop in the Windows disks and type at a prompt

fdisk/mbr

and then reinstall after you format or whatever.

I was fearfull of problems with my master boot record when I first read about LILO, when installing I chose not not set up LILO, instead I skiped that step and chose to create a boot disk instead. I figured this way whenever I wanted linux I would just pop in the disk and boot, I felt safe this way, maybe this may be the way you want to go.

Talking

hi,
    the linux os can be installed as 2nd os,but it has to be on a separate partion
    to have linux booting,you have 2 ways:
    1- making a boot floppy disk,which i prefer,you put this fd before switching the power on
    and linux will be started up from this fd.

2- the second way is put the booter file (lilo or groub) loaders at the first 1mb of the hard disk,which can be done due the cd installation part,but that may cause an interruption
    beteen the win and linux loaders.

i mean you have to be worry of that.

i wanna ask about the /etc/inittab file that contain the settings of the user interface the logging time,i've change it to login througth the gui interface,but sence that the system is refusing to log in,how i can re-enter that file from the shell interface.
    any one can help i'll be gratefull.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Alternatively, you can have XP be the boot loader. Using a method similar to this one for lilo/grub:

http://www.togaware.com/linux/survivor/Dual_Boot0.html

http://jaeger.morpheus.net/linux/ntldr.php

http://www.tabletpclinks.com/link_di...tiboot_xp.html

Basically, you are saving the boot loader to Sector 1 of the partition, booting with a boot disk, copying it over to C:, rewriting the boot.ini to recognize it and away you go.

There also is a tool (and do you think I could find it?! Nope) that allows you to boot any number of systems. I remember reading about it in Maximum PC. In the article it was setup for 37 (!!) OSes.

edit: AHA! I found it: Extended Operating Systemd Loader
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Thanks for all the great responses. And just so you all know, I'm trying to install Linux from a 'Developers Resource' package so I have no manuals whatsoever. I've been a sheltered windows user till now and anything I know about Linux I've learned on the net and a couple of books. I just want to be sure that when I go through the installation process I don't end up with a system that doesn't boot. I suppose in the worst case scenario I could simply restore the MBR with fdisk like Gore said. Again, thanks.
    \"I\'d like to think the best of me is still hiding up my sleeve.\" -John Mayer