installing SCSI ...

Thread: installing SCSI ...

installing SCSI ...

hello guys ,

i have new comp, my boss gave it to me as bonus ( i am so happy ) .. it is Wearness DP 245 with single Xeon-2.4 ...2 SCSI Altas 17 GHz each , 8mb Ati , 512 DDR.
    and i find a problem when try to set my comp. i turn on my computer and i know SCSI will not appears in bios system .. and i put my win2000 advance cd in the CD-ROM and try too install using this booting cd. it was normall till the windows told me there is no hard disk no recognize hard disk.. i try to install the SCSI ( i thought it's already install ) from teh cd ( wearness cd )and make raid on the SCSI .. it was working well .. and then i put the win2000 cd .. again .. but windows still not recognized it .. it asked me a disk and put it in floopy disk. no floopy disk in here ( SCSI driver ) .. i try to go to wearness site and found nothing. now my comp still not installed yet.
    anyone have any suggetion or perhaps answers ?...

anyway thanks for ur help.

When I lay me down to sleep, Pray the LORD my soul to keep.
    If I die before i wake, Pray the LORD my soul to take.

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=389

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Yes,

First off, you wont find any SCSI info in your BIOS. What you need to look for is your SCSI bios which usually posts during boot time by saying something like, "Press CTRL A to enter SCSI setup".

In here you need to initialize your drives and define a container. Once you do that, reboot and place your W2K CD in the CD drive. You WILL need a driver from the RAID manufacter in order to install W2K. Get this drive on floppy then during the W2K install you will be able to press F6 in order to add the third party RAID driver. After that, it is clear sailing.

This is a quick overview of the process. I assume that you have the technical ability to setup a RAID container and also find the appropriate driver on the web.

Hope this helps.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

I think what you are saying is that your system boots from the 2000 CD and then fails to recognize the Mass Storage Controller (SCSI card).

If this is the case you will need to use the disk you have or obtain the win2k driver from the vendor and put it on a floppy. The files will need to be extracted to the root of the floppy. Then boot from CD and press F6 when prompted. You will then be prompted to insert the floppy and choose the mass storage driver from the floppy. After doing this Windows should be able to find your HD hopefully.

If this is not the problem then please provide more detail and I will try to help.

Good Luck...

Once I posted I see that most of this was addressed above

thanks the hors3 and both of you for ur responds.
    at the first time the comp boots up , it appears "press ctrl+f6 to setup" and then the desktop changed .. there are so many tools and menu over there .. i can handle them .. i formatt both of scsi and create RAID.
    that the SCSI build the RAID, when it finished .. it recommended to reboot the comp.. so i boot up the computer. and it seems everything under controll .. i try not to put any disk on the cd-rom, and like i wanted .. it said "no operating system," so i though the MB can recognized the SCSI and it was okay. so i reboot the computer again... and put the win2000 cd on the cd-rom and it is succed .. the cd showed devices before install it and it happend again .. no hard drive recognized .. i am so wondering . and then i reboot againnnn . and when the first time win 2000 installer before it showed devices i press F6 to recognized my scsi becoz i read the book and have to press f6 if HD not recognized. it worked and it happened again .. the installer asked me a disk on floopy drive .
    i found many times on the net but got none and called the wearness and the IT only said . wait .. wait .. and wait .. i am just sit and look at the cd .
    pls anyone help me .. ?????

Senior since the 3 dot era
    If you keep getting probs, it's perhaps a compatibility prob?

Some SCSI adapters are not by default supported by Win 2000 while they were with Win NT4.0 see for a list and a solution, at this page http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us%3B228104

Some serverboards (SISL RAID) are not supported by Win2000 e.g. give problems.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us%3B259464
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us%3B259469

So it sounds like you are doing everything right except that you cannot find the driver?

You will need a driver in order for win2k to find the SCSI card. The one thing that I see sometimes cause this to fail is that people extract the diver files to a folder rather than the root of the a: drive. You should have several files including one most likely called oemsetup.inf on your floppy. Once you have this you just need to press F6 once Win2K starts intializing its setup and prompts you at the bottom of the screen.

thanks..

You will need a driver in order for win2k to find the SCSI card. The one thing that I see sometimes cause this to fail is that people extract the diver files to a folder rather than the root of the a: drive. You should have several files including one most likely called oemsetup.inf on your floppy. Once you have this you just need to press F6 once Win2K starts intializing its setup and prompts you at the bottom of the screen.
    Some serverboards (SISL RAID) are not supported by Win2000 e.g. give problems
    both of you correct mate ...
    that driver drove me crazy .. but now i already find the driver and i dunno what to say to all of you .. thanks alot guys , i really respect your advices and suggestion.