Question on virus W32.HLLP.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on virus W32.HLLP.

Question

Sorry guys, this probably isn't supposed to go here but I just signed up for this site today. I was wondering if there was any info on the virus W32.HLLP.Handy. I've gotten it twice so far but both times my virus scan caught it. I am also having another problem. My computer restarts itself frequently. It only happens when I'm using aol instant messanger so I think it has to do with that. I will be sitting there and as soon as I get up to move it restarts. I'm not very good with computers but my friend is and he checked something called MSCONFIG and cheked to see if anything strange was there and there wasn't. I do have a couple of friends who are good with computers and I know they can make my computer restart but I'm really not sure if there doing it or not. Please help me.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Hrmm.. A couple of things come to mind. First, you might want to visit MooSoft and download the Cleaner. It sounds like you might have a trojan. Also, make sure your antivirus is up-to-date and runs when the machine boots.

Second, make sure you have the latest version of AIM. That said, go through the AIM preference and disable any default uploads or what-have-you. Ideally, it would be better if you didn't use AIM as it is problematic (IMHO).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Fleet, check this link out from McAfee's Virus Information Library: http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_99881.htm

That should get you some more information about the virus itself. Also, a simple search on Google should give you plenty of information to read about..

As far as your other problems go, you may want to run a complete viruscan (after your DAT files are up to date), run a trojan detection/cleaner (such as The Cleaner from www.moosoft.com), and a general clean up of your system. It's possible that your machine has been exploited and you need to get rid of whatever junk is out there.. When you say that your 'friends' can make your PC restart, how? Are you online, doing something specific, etc?

EDIT: Ah, MsMittens, looks like we posted at the same time - you beat me to it though!
    - Maverick

BS, EnCE, ACE, Cellebrite 11001001's Avatar
    Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    OK, it looks like your virus is related to Kazaa:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...llp.handy.html

As for the restarting issue, it sounds like one of your friends might be playing a prank on you. One of them may have sent you a trojan, and they're restarting your computer just to mess with you.

Think back and see if you remember any of your buddies sending you a small file that seemed to do nothing.
    That's Officer 11001001 to you...
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

I've seen Windows XP do that on an Emachine before.

that "virus" is definately related to kazaa. Some of the software kazaa makes u install for the program to work is spy and adware, that particular "virus" is used by a program in kazaa, and just isnt liked by most firewalls and antivirus because it does some **** it shouldnt.

Since a few have mentioned Kazaa: Fleet, are you currently using some version of the Kazaa software? If you are, you may want to reconsider that at least until you get your system cleaned up.

At this point, you really need to get up-to-date with your AV software - if you don't have any AV software, you need to accquire some. There are free solutions and some that cost minimal amounts of money - just do a search on AntiOnline, these subjects have been talked about before and good information has been provided.
    - Maverick

Thanks for all the help guys I apprecitate it. As for kazaa, yes I am using it and I am pretty sure thats where the virus came from. The first time I got it, norton antivirus showed where it was from and im pretty sure that was it.

As for my computer automatically restariting, I am using windows XP but it only happens when I'm on aim. One of you asked how my friends could do it and I'm pretty sure they can somehow, but I don't know if its them. I have done virus scans and nothing had came up, only this one from kazaa. Also, when I had one of my friends chek the MSCONFIG thing, he said he didn't anything strange. I will look into these links and I'm pretty sure I'm just going to get rid of kazaa all together. Again thanks for the help and if you know anything about my computer restarting on its own please continue to post.

~Fleet

Yeah.. Kazaa is pretty much a zoo for viruses... try using WINMX or IMESH

Oh by the way... if it only happens when yo use aol instant messenger you might want to uninstall it for a while just to see if that is what is causeing the program... otherwise it could be your hardware or something.
    [glowpurple]VENOM[/glowpurple] [gloworange]FROGG[/gloworange]

Well, first of all, I got rid of kazaa for good. Secondly, I downloaded the trail version of "The Cleaner" from www.moosoft. com and it found 33 trojans. All were called the trojan BDE. I'm hoping that was what was making my computer restart. Again, thanks for the help.

~Fleet