Pop up windows in linux.

Thread: Pop up windows in linux.

Pop up windows in linux.

Has anybody heard of using IPchains to block pop up windows in linux? I've searched google and couldn't find any reference on it. It sounds like its possible, has anybody heard of this?

Nate

str34m3r
    It's easier to block pop-up adds by adding their domain names to your /etc/hosts file and redirecting the IP to 127.0.0.1. Then every time your computer wants to go to doubleclick, it does the lookup in the hosts file, tries to download the image from localhost, and gives up, leaving you ad free. Now all you have to do is search google for a big list of ad domain names.

Banned
    Or why dont you just download somekind of a free pop-up blocker. That might help if you dont want pop ups

er0k
    dude... mozilla edit, preferences, tell it not to allow unrequested windows.. built in popup blocker. you dont need to do all kinds of configuration, just takes like 10 seconds, i havent seen a popup on here in .... ..... ........ at least a long while

Just Another Geek

Re: Pop up windows in linux.

Originally posted here by detoxsmurf
    Has anybody heard of using IPchains to block pop up windows in linux? I've searched google and couldn't find any reference on it. It sounds like its possible, has anybody heard of this?

Nate
    You could probably block all IPs of all the adservers in the world. But that's a hell of a job.

You'll need something that can filter on OSI layer 7. IPChains works on layer 3&4. That's why you couldn't find anything about it.

Hi detoxsmurf.
    You wanna see mine:
    If you have ipchains, you can type the following to avoid pop up windows when surfing:

ipchains -A output -d 199.95.207.0/24 -j REJECT
    ipchains -A output -d 199.95.208.0/24 -j REJECT
    ipchains -A output -d www.doubleclick.net -j REJECT
    ipchains -A output -d ad.doubleclick.net -j REJECT
    ipchains -A output -d ad.doubleclick.com -j REJECT
    ipchains -A output -d ad.preferences.com -j REJECT
    ipchains -A output -d adbot.theonion.com -j REJECT
    ipchains -A output -d adpick.switchboard.com -j REJECT
    ipchains -A output -d ads.i33.com -j REJECT
    ipchains -A output -d ads.infospace.com -j REJECT
    ipchains -A output -d ads.msn.com -j REJECT
    ipchains -A output -d ads.switchboard.com -j REJECT

I hope this one helps

Cheerss
    Not an image or image does not exist!
    Not an image or image does not exist!

Kwiep
    Sweet_angel, it's a good idea, but if you're going to block ads that way the list will get really long. Maybe you'd better block drop all ads* then... I think that will get you further then just list a few of the ad sites... It's like blocking adresses with hotmail, there's always one that get's trough.
    Double Dutch

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    erok,

Thnx man, was searchin something similar....

Greetz,
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

Its my understanding that when you open up an html page, that its a javascript that creats the pop up window. Looking at my firewall log, this script is trying to access an outside server using a high port number. With that in mind, is it possible to block all outbound connections using a high port number?

Nate