Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless Internet Access at McDonalds?

Wireless Internet Access at McDonalds?

I saw this on slashdot and found it pretty intersting.
    Apprarenlty McDonalds is launching a pilot program that gives you one hour of Internet access with each Extra Value Meal ordered. Additional hours can be purchased for $3 (or another meal)
    The full story is here:
    http://my.aol.com/news/news_story.ps...31100094938107

Do any of you guys know how do they control how long you have access for?

My guess is that the phone cord is hooked up to a timer and once an hours up ur kicked off.
    but i'm not sure
    I AM THE INTERNET
    I AM tHeHeTeRiC

The Iceman Cometh
    It's most likely a leasing issue. They probably assign you an IP address which expires after 1 hour.

I think the idea is a lot better than Starbucks' (where you have to pay an outrageous monthly fee). I just hope the "unannounced California town" is going to be San Diego. :-)

AJ

Great - another keyboard to get ketchup on.

What I find odd is that you would assume McDonald's would want you out of there ASAP as you are taking up space for other customers. Are they changing their focus to be slightly more relaxing environment?

would the people that could afford to have a notebook computer and an hour off work really choose to go eat at McD's?? Hell, i can't afford that and I still choose to go to more expensive fast food places because McD's food is substandard, small portions, greasy, and bland.

Or maybe they're hoping that this will attract these customers?? THey'd have to completely rework their menu, and cooking practices to get me to go back, let alone be seen wasting my day in there with my laptop when i could be at work getting paid.

Good point!

The Iceman Cometh
    I'm not a really big fan of McDonald's either, but sometimes I just want to grab some quick food and their Chicken McNuggets are pretty good (in my opinion). Although I wouldn't spend an hour there on the Internet, I would definately use the time to read the paper online or something like that, which I would otherwise do while I'm at home when I'd rather be relaxing.

AJ

Developer Extraordinar
    Well, McD's has an interesting theory...I mean, a) it's going to bring more people b) Those more people are going to be people with money. c) They can use their own laptop's
    I think they're on the right track, but what about the security level?

-Daniel

I was thinking about the security level also- will your new starup screen be the golden arches????
    the only way to fix it is to flush it all away-tool

jxrry59 raises a good point about security.
    This move seems to be marketed towards the business man on his lunch break type person, but how many companies are using wireless technologies? Even more importantly, how many companies will like the idea that their laptops (with their information on them) are connecting to a network they have no control over? Someone with some knowledge could walk in, order a meal and spend his hour trying to exploit some vulnerabilites on some laptops in an attempt to get their hands on some corporate "secrets".
    It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of companies began creating new policies prohibiting their employess to take advantage of such services.
    \"When you say best friends, it means friends forever\" Brand New
    \"Best friends means I pulled the trigger
    Best friends means you get what you deserve\" Taking Back Sunday
    Visit alastairgrant.ca