DSL Connection Help

Thread: DSL Connection Help

DSL Connection Help

I have been using a DSL Connection on my computer, and it has always worked fine. Just the other day I started up the connectoin and it connected but then after 10 minutes or so I couldn't acces anymore web pages. It shows my connection as active but cannot pull up web pages. It did however let me connect to MSN Messenger but thats it. I went to the command prompt and ran nestat -an command and it shows my local Ip addresses but doesn't show any foreign connections, like it doesn't show that I'm connected to anything when I should be connected to at least the dsl server.

I am running Windows 98 SE with a Westwell Wirespeed Dual Connect Modem

If anybody can help Thanks.

this is what i did

My mom had the same probem- disconnect everything from the modem and reconnect everything. you may have to reinstall but it did it for me in two minutes
    the only way to fix it is to flush it all away-tool

I find that powering down the modem for about 2 minutes will fix the problem when our DSL is slow or will not work.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

I have a westell wirespeed modem that i got from bellsouth when i started to use mine i used there software that came with it and i had the same problem.

This is wut i did i have a PPPoe connection.

So i disconnected evrything for about 60 seconds then connect phone line and power cable till the status lights go green then hook it to your computer and run connection wizard to establish a PPPoe connection and fill out your pass and username and it should work fine. you will hafta manually connect everytime the computer is turned on unless you edit a .bat file to run it on start up.

hope this helps.

cheyenne1212,
    Is your power connection to the dsl modem plugged straight into a plug or through a surge protector? I have witnessed DSL modems that require a straight 110 "non split" power connection to mantain sync. Good luck.

captfb
    [glowpurple]\"I like to think of myself as a sensitive inteliigent person with the soul of a clown that forces me to blow it at the most important times.\" Jim Morrison[/glowpurple]

MY power for my modem does go through a surge protector, I'll try powering down the modem for a couple minutes then see if that helps.
    =

Plugging the Modem straight into the wall helped me out with my problem. Thanks for the help.
    =

Originally posted here by kr4y3
    you will hafta manually connect everytime the computer is turned on unless you edit a .bat file to run it on start up.
    Most of the newer routers have some sort of PPPoE connectivity built in, where you can store the username/password in the router and the router will automatically log you in whenever there is outgoing activity. So if you don't have a router and are getting one soon, look for that feature and it'll save a lot of time and hassle. Then you can unistall any proprietary login software.
    Mike Reilly
    bluebeard96@yahoo.com

Most of the newer routers have some sort of PPPoE connectivity built in, where you can store the username/password in the router and the router will automatically log you in whenever there is outgoing activity.
    A lot of times you can just set your timeout to 0, and the router will automatically reconnect you everytime it goes down/idle.

true... wasn't even thinking of that. Mine just has a "Keep Connection Alive" checkbox... which does the same thing you're talking about. I wish the poor think would stop locking up on me though (bandwidth issue)!
    Mike Reilly
    bluebeard96@yahoo.com