linux

Thread: linux

linux has become a sell out?

so wuts up. one of my friends just told me that someone purchased the rights or something to that extent of linux. Does this mean an end to open source for the system, or just more third party support.

Linux is a free Unix-type operating system originally created by Linus Torvalds with the assistance of developers around the world. Developed under the GNU General Public License , the source code for Linux is freely available to everyone. Click on the link below to find out more about the operating system that is causing a revolution in the world of computers.

www.linux.org

no kiddn, and here i was paying 50 dollars a pop for my copies of red hat linux. all sarcasim intended lol.

yeah, give me another neg point, haha

Whoever told you that was probably talking about the lawsuit between SCO and IBM alleging that IBM violated its non-disclosure agreement by allowing developers who had seen Unix source code to work on Linux. Sounds like your friend just got it a little mixed up. The tiff is between SCO and IBM and really has nothing to do with the actual development of Linux. It's a publicity stunt by a floundering has-been more than anything else.

http://mq.moo.net/Linux03/ScoSource-05_Story01.html
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!