Linux CD-ROM problem

Thread: Linux CD-ROM problem

Linux CD-ROM problem

I added a CD/RW drive to my Linux system and linux keeps detecting it as scsi instead of ide. Nothing I try seems to work.
    Yes I double checked that it is and IDE drive and not actually a scsi=0) Does anyone have any suggestions?
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don\'t.

Banned
    Does your BIOS treat it as an IDE-drive?
    I've had a similar problem with Suse 8.1 where YaST treated my hdd as a RAID-setup. Disabling the motherboard's RAID-controller got rid of the problem.
    If that doesn't work, you should supply some more info: what version of Linux to begin with...

I think you will find under linux your cd writer needs to utilise scsi emulation to enable it to write to cd media ... I am sure someone more knowledgable will be able to expand on this.

This site may help sort you out: http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~gregorr...cdr_howto.html

For what it is worth my Mandrake system identifies my ide cd burner as scsi and it works a treat.

I'm pretty sure all burners are identified as SCSI under linux. I have read the reason for it before, but can't remember why it's that way.

That's true what Thread_killer said, you need SCSI-emulation even using IDE-drive.

Here's a Linuxgazette's tutorial 'Easy Addition of an IDE CD-Writer to a Linux/RedHat' (http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue57/feenberg.html)
    rdev - 01110010 01100100 01100101 01110110

\"The difficult we do immediately. The impossible takes a little while longer.\" - U.S. Navy Seabees

yup..

if you use lilo, add the line hdc=ide-scsi to it..

and make sure you have SCSI emulation support in your kernel..

Then the cdrom drive should be /dev/scd0 make sure you edit the cdrom drive info in /etc/fstab
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by thread_killer
    I'm pretty sure all burners are identified as SCSI under linux. I have read the reason for it before, but can't remember why it's that way.
    It's because cdrecord can only handle SCSI burners. That's why you should use SCSI emulation for your IDE burner.

Thanks for all that info guys....that will help me alot in fixing the problem.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don\'t.