Intellimouse and Linux perversion

Thread: Intellimouse and Linux perversion

Intellimouse and Linux perversion

I realise that some may consider the question that follows (after the lengthy ramble) to be a little perverse... but I guess thats just the kinda person I am

Before I carry on I have searched google for help on this but it doesn't seem like this is a common problem... I've not found much useful at any rate...

Currently one of the setups I have is with a TFT screen, PS/2 keyboard and MS optical intellimouse (using the PS/2 converter) hooked up to an oldish Belkin 2 port KVM. This is then hooked up to a box with XP on it and a box with Mandrake 8.1 on it. I'm using the original belkin Omniview rather than the SE version cos I felt I might get better support for linux with it.

Now, the KVM works perfectly with XP, switching between XP and Mandrake causes absolutely no problems with XP. If I switch over to the second port and boot up linux on the other box initially there are no problems. Linux recognises everything and all in the garden is peachy. However if I then switch back to XP, do something on that and THEN switch back to Mandrake the mouse goes all screwy. Basically the box acts like the LH mouse button is constantly pressed down and the movement of the pointer jumps all over the screen quite randomly. I have to log out (but not power down) and log back in to solve the problem. Although this is a workaround it isn't the most elegant of solutions.

I know there can be problems with the intellimouse and switching between boxes with this KVM. However if I use this setup with win98 and XP I don't experience this problem, it only happens with Mandrake and XP. This leads me to suspect that the drivers I'm using in linux (generic wheel mouse) may not be totally compatible with the linux/XP/KVM set up and intellimouse.

So my question is does anyone know of drivers for MS Optical Intellimouse in Mandrake (or RH, or any other flavour for that matter!)?? Told you it was perverse . I can't find anything on google but maybe I have missed something?

Incidentally, for those who are probably going to tell me to get a different mouse, yes thank you I realise that is an option but I hate to waste what I've got and would like to try and find a solution using what I have. Granted a new mouse may be my only option but?? If anyone has any other advice... be glad to hear it.

Thanks all

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

You say log out and log in back in.. (on one of the consoles.. or are you using X?).. i don't know of any drivers to help.. but in the mean time a possibly quicker workaround (depending on what yer logging in and out of) would be to just recycle gpm.. good luck trying to find the driver and maybe in the meantime that will speed things up a lil for you..
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

I have a similar setup and situation.

Try this.

Before pressing the button to switch between screens take your hand completely off the mouse. Press the button on the KVM, count to two or three, then begin working. I think (at least with me) that what happens is the computer is getting an IRQ from the mouse before it's full initialized (for lack of a better word) with the switch between boxes.

Holy mother of god... replies already!!

HTRegz, sorry yes I should have been more specific about 'logging out' I meant logging out of a particular X session (KDE if thats of any interest). recycle gpm (general purpose mouse ?).....if I'm thinking along the same lines as you this might work.. next question and sorry as it's probably a newbie question - how do I recycle the gpm?

Thread killer.....at least I'm not alone in my perversity your suggestion was one of my first thoughts, I have tried this - left the mouse alone for 2 minuites but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I think your'e right that the linux box is having trouble getting the IRQ for the mouse 'initialized' (I know what you mean - I can't think of a better word either) - which is why I'm thinking that HTregz's suggestion might work....

<hoping for a pointer from HTregz now>

Thanks for the help so far guys

Z

Hey Hey... been a while since i had to do this stuff in my own linux install

as root at a console window type killall -HUP gpm
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

HTRegz, ta I'll give that a go now

cool cool...

Let me know if it works for you.. I'll add it to my repetoire of useless knowledge that will fix very rare problems.

hmmm doesn't seem to work just yet.... but I can't help feeling this is the right track to be on.... I'll work on it and PM u later (if I may) if I can get it to work - can't let that heap of useless knowledge go unfed now can i?

however as I have been up for almost 40 hours (and running mainly on caffeine and nicotine for the last 10) I am going to sleep for a while cos I think I'm starting to hallucinate a little.

Cheers again

Z