routing tables

Thread: routing tables

routing tables

i am trying to get a better grasp on networking with linux and i was wondering what is the most efficient way to construct routing tables? for example if i have a small LAN of 5 computers when would be a approprite time to construct a table and what protocols would be best to use etc, etc. thanx for all replies in advance.
    Don\'t be a bitch! Use Slackware.

Well, unless your 5 computers are on diffrent subnets/segments there's no point in messing with routing tables/protocols...

How's your network setup, topology and addressing wise?

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

well its a token ring but they are not subnetted...i knida figured they would have to be,is there anywasy that i could just practice doin it with out actually applying the tables just so that i can learn and feel confident with doing it?i mean i know that i can practive doing it, but is there a way of doing it and knowing the outcome...as far as whether i did it right? hope this isnt a dumb question/idea i would just like to learn how to do it.
    Don\'t be a bitch! Use Slackware.

Set your comp's up on different subnets and create static routes to test your routing prowess. Of course you'll need some equipment to accomplish this. I hear you can get Xylan Omniswitches pretty cheap on Ebay.... they switch and route. Actually they aren't that bad for being old......

Not that I have much experience with them or anything. It's just a suggestion.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson