alternative flavours
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: alternative flavours

Question alternative flavours

From reading through the posts on AO, it would appear that C, C++, Java are the choice of programming software for most users.

I'd be interested to hear however, peoples comments on programmes such as Python and SmallTalk, are they of any use in security programming.

I'm thinking of teaching myself a programming language and from what I've read Python and SmallTalk are relatively simple to learn in comparison to C, C++, etc. Would I be wasting my time and should I go straight for C etc.

I should mention, I what to do this as a hobby rather than for career advancement.

Cheers

humpy

i would presonaly go straight to C++, however it can be somewhat diffucult to learn but it was one of my first languages i learned and i didnt have to many difficulties
    http://www.outwar.com/page.php?x=812668

i brake for flipper babies

I'm one of the people you mentioned who is a big proponent of C/C+ and Java for web apps, but i do have some experience with Python and IMO its a great language for scripting and has good integration with C programs, but it isnt that widely used and you probably get more mileage out of learning other languages. As for smalltalk its somewhat outdated and hard to program in due to its "everything is an object" design and has virtually no industry uses.

If you really want to learn something besides C/C++, Perl is an excellent choice. Not only can it be used for scripting it also can be used to write full fledged apps. Its great for database programming and if your an open-source advocate there is no limit to what can be done with the "LAMP" grouping of technologies: Linux, Apache, MySQL, Perl and PHP.

humpy, it really depends on what you want to do after you learn that language.
    You are not looking it for you career, and hence not serious programming.
    Python is a relatively good language, and since you are in no hurry, you ca begin with Python, get a feel of programming, and then move on to C++ if you like.
    \"I have a 386 Pentium.\"

i would say learn c++ if you want to learn a flexible, powerful language. i guess if you're more interested in it as a hobby though, then go for perl. it's very powerful and relatively easy to learn, plus there's tuts everywhere on the web. i wouldn't bother with smalltalk, it's really old and really wasn't designed to be powerful or flexible....if i remember right it was designed to program microwave ovens and dinky things like that
    U suk at teh intuhnet1!!1!1one

Banned
    im no big programmer but from what ive seen and heard, the smaller languages you mentioned are going into extinction. i learned the basics of C++ in a matter of days and it was in no way hard. as for java, its taking over the internet with php and cgi.

but then again, it all really matters what youre going to be programming.

Banned
    Originally posted here by AviS187
    I'm one of the people you mentioned who is a big proponent of C/C+ and Java for web apps, but i do have some experience with Python and IMO its a great language for scripting and has good integration with C programs, but it isnt that widely used and you probably get more mileage out of learning other languages. As for smalltalk its somewhat outdated and hard to program in due to its "everything is an object" design and has virtually no industry uses.

If you really want to learn something besides C/C++, Perl is an excellent choice. Not only can it be used for scripting it also can be used to write full fledged apps. Its great for database programming and if your an open-source advocate there is no limit to what can be done with the "LAMP" grouping of technologies: Linux, Apache, MySQL, Perl and PHP.

Uhm..."everything is an object" C++/Java's core foundation is that it is centered on oop. As are many other 3rd gen languages commonly used. Any why do you say that is harder to program in? Reusable code is a bad thing? Interesting assertion you've made.

C++ is a highly complex language, mostly due to it's redundancy. But if you want a challenge you've got one. And the rewards will be many.

If you want a programming langage that you can jump into headfirst is Visual Basic 6. An excellent language for win32 programming. No matter what the a-holes that I am sure will reply to this may say. Most ppl who make ignorant comments like "Visual Basic sucks" simply have no clue.

Good luck.

Kwiep
    I think perl still counts as a often used programming language. The web get's important so php asp and java, wich just are about the best atm rule that region. With c++ and assembler, you can make anything and because c++ is so popular it get's better (better compilers etc.). Because the same popularity it's mostly used for open source things, because most people who know a language know c++, or c.
    More on other levels of programming, languages like pascal, delphi, fortran, lisp are still used. More for special purposes or research mostly.
    Visual Basic is still on the list to, it's pretty easy to learn, altough everything is hard to master to the expert level. Quick Basic is great for the kids , it's to get into programming and syntax and all that... like Python.
    Double Dutch

how about some cobol
    or ADA95 (wich IMHO sucks ass)

perhaps I'll go do some ASM the name sounds so cool.... assembly
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

how about some cobol
    or ADA95 (wich IMHO sucks ass)

perhaps I'll go do some ASM the name sounds so cool.... assembly
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !