Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: yet another request for info

yet another request for info

i have a "friend" who has trouble with her younger sister delibrately downloading things. they have a cable connection, so she cant just change the passwd. and she is currently using winme. am trying to get her to upgrade to win2k. anyway, is there a simple prog that can be used to lock ppl from downloading/accessing the internet without a passwd?she just needs someway to stop her sister from filling the hard drive, ina cheap, easy to use(she is not technical) and wont incovience other computer users.
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night.
    Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

i have a "friend" who has trouble with her younger sister delibrately downloading things. they have a cable connection, so she cant just change the passwd. and she is currently using winme. am trying to get her to upgrade to win2k. anyway, is there a simple prog that can be used to lock ppl from downloading/accessing the internet without a passwd?she just needs someway to stop her sister from filling the hard drive, ina cheap, easy to use(she is not technical) and wont incovience other computer users.
    Disconnect the cable modem. Cheap, fast and easy.

Cheers

Jack

tell her to go to the ISPs web site and change her password and uncheck the "save password" option on the connection box. when shes away from the computer she can close the connection by right clicking on the icon in the task tray and selecting "disconnect". unless her daughter knows her password she cant connect.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Try loading an operating system that has some form of security...for starters. Or load a "free" firewall and set it to "block all" when your sis walks away from the computer.

www.agnitum.com - 'outpost' firewall, for free.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Yes but if their cable is anything like mine, there is no "connection" box. It's a diect LAN type of connection, nothing you have to dial up to or anything. I would do like what linuxguy said, just disconnect the modem and take it with you or something. That's easy enough, and it takes about a minute for your cable modem to sync and everything.

About the only other option you have is try hiding the application that is being used to download stuff. Is it stuff from the actual web (using IE or some sort of web browser) or is it more like using Kazaa? Plus how much does this "sister" know about computers? Easily fooled, or hardcore power user?
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

Maybe tell her how to restore windows to where you save it at some point then go back and you can download anything you want and just go back and restore it.

i think this link is what you need http://www.winbookcorp.com/_technote/WBTA10000108.htm

Hope that helps.
    [glowpurple]NooNoo\'s [/glowpurple]

Banned
    could you clerify what you mean by she cant change the password?

For a software solution you could have a look at Security Administrator.

http://www.softheap.com/secagent.html

Works on Win9* thru to XP according to the site.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Don't tell her what you are doing and disable the Ethernet interface. Nothing leaves the computer until it is re-enabled.....<s>
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Don't tell her what you are doing and disable the Ethernet interface. Nothing leaves the computer until it is re-enabled.....<s>
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides