Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: School Trouble

Yes, I know it can be done with vnc... I don't remember how exactly though (registry hack if I remember correctly). Google it..

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

Wink Have you tried a firewall

Have you tried a firewall like BlackIce or norton internet security. This will also log their ip addresses and what types of tools they are using to get into the systems. Also, if you have an old version of VNC there is an option to hide the icon in the system tray.

Originally posted here by ammo
    Yes, I know it can be done with vnc... I don't remember how exactly though (registry hack if I remember correctly). Google it..

Ammo

Ammo, you are right - there are supposedly some registry hacks that I've tried but can't seem to get working at the moment, but I'm still working on it.

Also, just doing a little searching, TightVNC (www.tightvnc.com), is a version of VNC that will enable the user to easily hide the icon that appears in the system tray.

Thanks you all. I showed my teacher this thread and she though it was great. Thanks again. Now to get this stuff up and catch them.
    The only four things i need are food, water, a computer, and the internet.

I Think a good program to use would be deep freeze, It erases all changes to the hard drive after shutdown. Sorry I dont have a link, search on google.

not sure if you are still looking for a monitoring prog but i have used this one before and i can testify...it gets the job done very well. http://appstraka.hypermart.net/
    Don\'t be a bitch! Use Slackware.

You mentioned about one of them acting as a look-out, so why not set up a webcam in one of the rooms to record the activites of the room. This taken with the IP of the computer in use, should be able to pinpoint who is doing it, thus providing you with "hard" evidence assuming you take the steps mentioned.
    That being said, are there any security camera's in use? I only ask because in my Uni and old college, the computer labs are/were monitored 24/7.
    I\'m drunk, and right now I\'m so in love with you.

Exclamation Script Kiddies

Hello,
    It seems you have a bunch of script kiddies at school. I bet they got all that crap of some "HACKERS ONLY" website. Laf. Anyways, pop open command.com, type netstat -a. Check if theres a Netbios port open. This could be how they're spreading throught the school. I snicker to myself at the thought of these "hackers" installing sub7 on the computers your talking about. With that in mind, they are probably far more concerned with being cool than covering their tracks. _Just another assumption im going to make_ If I was seeing the kiddies issue these attacks on computers. I'd just look for the date the trojan was installed. MSREXE.exe i think is sub7, if it were sub7. The virus scans eliminated the trojan, however covered the kiddies tracks. Try and run a scan on the sub7 port. Look for a fresh infected computer, and check for logins to the system at that time. If theres a third party network software, like Novell, you'll find logs.

I hope this helps you.

Originally posted here by crazyrugby
    Have you tried a firewall like BlackIce or norton internet security. This will also log their ip addresses and what types of tools they are using to get into the systems. Also, if you have an old version of VNC there is an option to hide the icon in the system tray.
    I dont know that Win98 machines allow background passes. You can use the good old temp2.exe which has been used for years to hide GT - Global Threat. BlackIce is the most retarted "firewall" I've ever seen, however It will do a good job of logging internet/intranet activity, if thats what you want to do.

PHP Code:
    system ("uptime); echo "uh": 

Had the same thing happen at my school . And as soon as I started to "help" i got pined with it ... And i am going to assume Since I started to let them know about all the info i knew about computer hacking i guess that they just came to the concluesion that maybe i was trying to trick them ... So as soon as i got wind of what was going on i just said leave me out of it . I did not get into trouble . But I did get looked at when a computer would go down . So my point is if they ask you for help then help . But dont try to jump to things . thats why they have compuer teachers there for ...... just another veiw to look at . peace

-Alpa

Your right alpa. But the thing is that my computer teacher really doesn't know much about computers. She came to me because she knows i know about computers. Im trying to help also because these guys are just bugging the hell out of me.
    Im sorry to say that i was the first one to start using sub7 in that class. I was checking out what it could do. Then i quit using it and started on things more productive like programming. I regret having used it in that class. In a way, im kinda the cause of the problem cuz they started copying me. I wish i hadn't done it at all.
    So know im trying to make things right. Also, after using that trojan its what sparked my curiosity into computers and security.
    I feel real bad about being the one who actually started the whole thing.
    The only four things i need are food, water, a computer, and the internet.