Thread: Router Help

Router Help

I have a dsl connection that i would like to share between two computers so I bought a nexland 4 port DSL/Cable Router to split the connection. When I hook the router up to my network and type in the ip to get to the config screen like the instruction manual says to. It gives me a regular error like when you type a website in wrong. I've tried everything, including resetting the router but cannot get to the config screen to set my connection type.

I run WIn 98 SE
    On my network I use netbui. would swithing over to using IP's maybe solve the problem?
    THanks

I'm pretty sure you need to install TCP/IP for your network card. I've never NOT had it installed, so it's just a guess.

This site will help you install TCP/IP on your system.

Edit: Some comments were made in the other post about PPPoe and your connection. If your provider does use PPPoe, you can store that information in the router iteself and then you will always be connected (no need to continually log in). Check out this link for more information on it.
    Mike Reilly
    bluebeard96@yahoo.com

On my network I use netbui.
    NetBEUI is not a routable protocol.

You will have to use TCP/IP

I would also set your network card to obtain the ip address dynamically from the router. Most* routers use DHCP by default.

If not, then set your ip on the network card to be on the same subnet as the router.
    Ex. If your router uses address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
    then use 192.168.1.2 or above on the pcs.

Most home broadband routers support web config. so just connect to it via your browser.

http://192.168.1.1

If it asks for user id and pwd, check the manual. All the info is in the "getting started" guide.
    They are normally* pretty good.

Like bluebeard said, you will need to know your ISPs connection procedures.
    if its PPPoE, uid and pwd, etc.

1 more thing.... do yourself a favor and change the default password on the router.
    Mike Reilly
    bluebeard96@yahoo.com

The router that I am using, according to the manual, says the router ip is 192.168.0.1. which would be the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. I do have TCP/IP installed on the network cards, but I think I might of done something wrong in that section. I have one compuer with a IP as 192.168.1.1 and a another as 192.168.1.2. I'll read that page that you have up there bluebeard to see if I missed something. As far as the password goes, the manual says that there is no password till I set it. I'll let you know if I get it working after I read that INstalling TCP/IP page. Thanks for your help

Oh yeah. My ISP does use PPPoE and the but I have to get into the router to configure that part also.
    =

Set your IP address between 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.254. You setr your IP to an address outside that class C. In other words, don't mess with the third octet. leave it a 0.??
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson