National No Call list

Thread: National No Call list

National No Call list

Hi All,

The US congress passed a law authorizations the FCC to set up a national no call list for US citizens. The initial budget is 16 million. Telemarketers will be required to check the list every 3 months failure to do that could lead to fines of up to $11,000 per person called on the no call list. Charites that the individual supported in the past are exempt as are pollsters and politicans. Hopefully, this works at the national level rather then state by state as it is now.

Cheers,

-D

PS I read about this in yesterdays WSJ burried in section C in a 4" x 4" right up.

PPS The first page of search results on no call did not turn up anything on this topic
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

Old Fart
    The story was here on MSNBC a couple of days ago. A list of states who have already enacted similar legislation and links to sign up can be found here.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Originally posted here by allenb1963
    The story was here on MSNBC a couple of days ago. A list of states who have already enacted similar legislation and links to sign up can be found here.
    Thanks for the MSNBC link. I am aware that various states offer the functionality but most charge a fee where as the Federal Program will be free.

Cheers,

-D
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

Not to mention there is also a legal question of whether or not the states have a right to prevent/interfere with out of state telemarketers, since now you are involved with interstate commerce (the domain of the US Congress/Senate).

I personally applaud that they finally got around to doing it at the national level; however, there are many loopholes and exclusions in the law (charities, non profits, etc), so you will still get calls. I also have my doubts about how easy it will be to enforce the law (are you going to have agents that do nothing but track down telemarketers? and how many of them will become fly by night operations that go 'bankrupt' when caught...then they owe nothing and there is no enforcement.

IMHO, it is a step in the right direction, but leaves much to be desired. I can only pray that Congress gets it right and all the calls can stop (I got 18 calls in an hour and a half last night....grrrrrrrr)...

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)