Thread: Pakistani Cyber Crime

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."

Pakistani Cyber Crime

From http://www.wired.com/news/conflict/0,2100,58033,00.html

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan --A Pakistani security agency has launched a special wing to combat cyber crimes in part because the country had to rely on U.S. investigators to trace e-mails sent by the kidnappers of American journalist Daniel Pearl a year ago.

"The purpose of establishing the National Response Center for Cyber Crimes is to stop misuse of the Internet and trace those involved in cyber-related crimes," Iftikhar Ahmad, spokesman for Pakistan's Interior Ministry, told the Associated Press on Wednesday.
    Good news for Pakistan, and probably the rest of the world too.
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

good news for them. Anyway, do they also have e-commerce laws or laws against cyber crimes?

i dont think so

They must have 'cybercrime' laws, otherwise they wouldn't be setting up a dedicated team to catch the people breaking these laws.

They must have 'cybercrime' laws, otherwise they wouldn't be setting up a dedicated team to catch the people breaking these laws.

Banned
    Actually, for years now there have been debates about the lack of laws in Pakistanian's cyberspace. Until recently they have charged cyber-crime with existing laws of cheating and fraud. It's kind of difficult to book anyone under such circunstances. Imagine if we speak of it in terms of an international level, such as the cyberwar between Pakistan and India. You have hackers attacking gov sites, and the madness is exchanged through many other countries, even Israel for instance. Not to mention the effect it has on their economy. Who hasn't heard fo the famous GForce or Pakistani Hackers Club? To top it all, investigative officers are not trained.

There is the Council of Europe treaty that tried very hard to simplify procedures of various types of cybercrime on an international level. But each country would have to adhere and ratify with its requirements at home first, before joining them. I don't understand why this is not yet a requirement.

-LC

Banned
    Actually, for years now there have been debates about the lack of laws in Pakistanian's cyberspace. Until recently they have charged cyber-crime with existing laws of cheating and fraud. It's kind of difficult to book anyone under such circunstances. Imagine if we speak of it in terms of an international level, such as the cyberwar between Pakistan and India. You have hackers attacking gov sites, and the madness is exchanged through many other countries, even Israel for instance. Not to mention the effect it has on their economy. Who hasn't heard fo the famous GForce or Pakistani Hackers Club? To top it all, investigative officers are not trained.

There is the Council of Europe treaty that tried very hard to simplify procedures of various types of cybercrime on an international level. But each country would have to adhere and ratify with its requirements at home first, before joining them. I don't understand why this is not yet a requirement.

-LC