Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some changes to the main page

Some changes to the main page

We've recently made some changes to the site's main page that you may have noticed.

Many folks have asked us to make sure that security continues to be the top focus on the site while not cutting down on the community feel that makes the site what it is. As such, we've set the main page up so that only threads from security-related forums make it to the main page. All the normal "general" forums are still operating, and will continue to be active, however they won't show up on the site's main page going forward.

Thanks,
    intmon (Scott)

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Out of curiosity, which forums will appear on the front or which won't appear on the front?

I've noticed a few security related posts aren't making it and I think it may be due to the forum they are in..
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Just a suggestion, you might want this forum to show up on the main page. I didn't know what the heck was happening to my posts until MsMittens was nice enough to point me to this thread. Any future changes may also be something that hits the main board so everyone knows what is changing and what effect it may have.

Cheers:
    DjM

Good suggestion about adding this to the list to show up on the front page -- I think it has been so slow it didn't seem worth it.

Regarding not knowing whath appened to your posts -- did you select the option to have the site notify you by email when someone posts to a thread you're in? It's in your User Options.

Then you don't have to check back until you get an email.

Originally posted here by JupMan
    Regarding not knowing whath appened to your posts -- did you select the option to have the site notify you by email when someone posts to a thread you're in? It's in your User Options.

Then you don't have to check back until you get an email.
    In there lies my confusion, I was getting the emails but when I checked back there was nothing on the main page (where I expected it to be). I posted a thread in the 'bugs' forum only to be told by MsMittens that changes were made. There's is my point, if it (the thread about the changes) had hit the main page, I would have had some idea as to what was going on.

Hey no big deal, I'll get over it, but the people on this site need to know what's going on. information on changes to the system, I think are important and to to be communicated to the community.

Cheers:
    DjM

It's a gas!
    Very good idea Admins!
    The main page was, at one point, practically a GCC forum of its own!

Bring back the security

And i also agree with DJM's suggestion of showing this New Features forum on the main page, because i too didnt have a clue what was going on.
    It took Negative to fill me in!

Cheers

It's a gas!
    Very good idea Admins!
    The main page was, at one point, practically a GCC forum of its own!

Bring back the security

And i also agree with DJM's suggestion of showing this New Features forum on the main page, because i too didnt have a clue what was going on.
    It took Negative to fill me in!

Cheers

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    Heya Intmon, Jupman,

Just a thought here.....
    I think it would be nice to have an underlying active 'non-security' main page, just accesible for members, where every general chat, how do i,...., as well as your new features forum can be posted.
    Me too was confused, 'till I saw this thread suspecting there is something new....
    If there would be a second 'active' member main page, everyone could easily keep track of new general posts,
    it also would be a new feature to gain members and so on ...

If this was already suggested, sorry for this, let me know.... (and I'll delete this one)

Greetz,

*** edit *** : Hrmm... maybe my post should be in 'site suggestions' , ....
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    Heya Intmon, Jupman,

Just a thought here.....
    I think it would be nice to have an underlying active 'non-security' main page, just accesible for members, where every general chat, how do i,...., as well as your new features forum can be posted.
    Me too was confused, 'till I saw this thread suspecting there is something new....
    If there would be a second 'active' member main page, everyone could easily keep track of new general posts,
    it also would be a new feature to gain members and so on ...

If this was already suggested, sorry for this, let me know.... (and I'll delete this one)

Greetz,

*** edit *** : Hrmm... maybe my post should be in 'site suggestions' , ....
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

Shrekkie take a look at my tips for navigating a forum
    in this thread