Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: recurrent laptop infection

Question recurrent laptop infection

Hello,

my laptop got infected 3 times with diffe rent virus, i used the oem restore function 'cuz norton was unable to restore the filez....
    so here is the ? can a virii infect a restore partition from a laptop ?

Thanks in advance.
    assembly.... digital dna ?

Question recurrent laptop infection

Hello,

my laptop got infected 3 times with diffe rent virus, i used the oem restore function 'cuz norton was unable to restore the filez....
    so here is the ? can a virii infect a restore partition from a laptop ?

Thanks in advance.
    assembly.... digital dna ?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Hrmmm. I'd think it'd depend on the virus and if the "restore" is infected. Do you know what virus it is?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Hrmmm. I'd think it'd depend on the virus and if the "restore" is infected. Do you know what virus it is?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

if somehow you did get a virus on the restore it wouldn't change in to a different virus each time.

put norton back on make sure the first thing you do is get all the updates from norton and keep real time protection on. you couldnt have been doing this or you wouldnt keep getting infected. and have you been making restore disks as you go? if you dont make restore disks every time up add somting norton cant restore it. if you keep your av updated there shouldn't be any need for restoring. ive never had to use norton restore.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

if somehow you did get a virus on the restore it wouldn't change in to a different virus each time.

put norton back on make sure the first thing you do is get all the updates from norton and keep real time protection on. you couldnt have been doing this or you wouldnt keep getting infected. and have you been making restore disks as you go? if you dont make restore disks every time up add somting norton cant restore it. if you keep your av updated there shouldn't be any need for restoring. ive never had to use norton restore.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Actually if you have access to another computer that has a fully updated version of Norton Antivirus, and somehow get that "good" computer networked to your laptop, you could do a virus scan that way. I've done it before. Basically on the "good" computer you would log in and map a network drive to the hard drive(s) on the infected computer. Then basically just tell Norton to scan that mapped network drive for any viruses. That's option one.

Option two would be to try using Norton's online antivirus scanner: http://security.symantec.com/ssc/hom...WLPITSMJUIVFHP

Just another approach to the problem. But I agree that if you somehow got any of the "restore" files infected you could have a problem. Though what kind of laptop do you have? I know Compaq does sell their FULL restore CD's. Which basically deletes all the partition tables on the laptop, COMPLETELY blanking the hard drive, and recreates all the partitions and the "restore" files. If all else fails, you really should look into that!
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

Actually if you have access to another computer that has a fully updated version of Norton Antivirus, and somehow get that "good" computer networked to your laptop, you could do a virus scan that way. I've done it before. Basically on the "good" computer you would log in and map a network drive to the hard drive(s) on the infected computer. Then basically just tell Norton to scan that mapped network drive for any viruses. That's option one.

Option two would be to try using Norton's online antivirus scanner: http://security.symantec.com/ssc/hom...WLPITSMJUIVFHP

Just another approach to the problem. But I agree that if you somehow got any of the "restore" files infected you could have a problem. Though what kind of laptop do you have? I know Compaq does sell their FULL restore CD's. Which basically deletes all the partition tables on the laptop, COMPLETELY blanking the hard drive, and recreates all the partitions and the "restore" files. If all else fails, you really should look into that!
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

Well you can submit you virus at this site
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...00031615501306
    And that might help you. (THAT LINK IS FOR WINDOWS)

If you have macintosh here is the link
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...99010708543311

Hope that helped!!
    [glowpurple]NooNoo\'s [/glowpurple]

Well you can submit you virus at this site
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...00031615501306
    And that might help you. (THAT LINK IS FOR WINDOWS)

If you have macintosh here is the link
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...99010708543311

Hope that helped!!
    [glowpurple]NooNoo\'s [/glowpurple]