Hardware Compatability
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardware Compatability

Banned

Hardware Compatability

Hey guys, new question.....

which distro is the best for harware support?? ive heard suse is good but are there any alternative?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    RH isn't bad. It's detected everything I've thrown at it except 3Com WiFi Card (anyone have suggestions?!) Knoppix -- CD based Linux -- is great! (only seen it complain about laptops).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I'm useing slackware.. and as long as you know what is in ur box.. You won't have any trouble..

Evry linux is just as Hardware Compatible as the next.. only some have better autodetection schemes then others do..

so if you want ease of use (ease of install even) you'd have to go with SuSE or RedHat..

If you wanna DIY and you know the hardware in ur box and are not affraid to lspci -vv and know what things like UHCI OHCI EHCI and stuff like i2c and mean.. go for slackware or some BSD variant !!
    And I'll bet you'll have a faster running (and booting) system !!
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

I'm useing slackware.. and as long as you know what is in ur box.. You won't have any trouble..

Evry linux is just as Hardware Compatible as the next.. only some have better autodetection schemes then others do..

so if you want ease of use (ease of install even) you'd have to go with SuSE or RedHat..

If you wanna DIY and you know the hardware in ur box and are not affraid to lspci -vv and know what things like UHCI OHCI EHCI and stuff like i2c and mean.. go for slackware or some BSD variant !!
    And I'll bet you'll have a faster running (and booting) system !!

If you are new to Linux you might want to try Mandrake. I've had pretty good luck with it detecting most things. I think its a good starting point for newbies.

Knoppix is great! I even booted it up on a compaq laptop and it saw everything. It even saw my linksys Wi-Fi card. Now, the card didn't work but it identified it correctly.

-CD

If you are new to Linux you might want to try Mandrake. I've had pretty good luck with it detecting most things. I think its a good starting point for newbies.

Knoppix is great! I even booted it up on a compaq laptop and it saw everything. It even saw my linksys Wi-Fi card. Now, the card didn't work but it identified it correctly.

-CD

Computer Forensics
    Originally posted by MsMittens
    RH isn't bad. It's detected everything I've thrown at it except 3Com WiFi Card (anyone have suggestions?!).
    Gimme a little more info and I will see what I can do

Oh as to the subject of this post.. Redhat has the best hardware support out of the box.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Computer Forensics
    Originally posted by MsMittens
    RH isn't bad. It's detected everything I've thrown at it except 3Com WiFi Card (anyone have suggestions?!).
    Gimme a little more info and I will see what I can do

Oh as to the subject of this post.. Redhat has the best hardware support out of the box.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Originally posted here by hogfly
    Is that best hardware support or best hardware detection ??

Originally posted here by hogfly
    Is that best hardware support or best hardware detection ??