Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Compaq Presario h/w problem help!

It's a gas!

Compaq Presario h/w problem help!

A friend of mine asked me to have a look at her laptop because of my uber h/w skills!
    Thing is im not very up on my h/w related issues, but shes a friend so i told her i would have a look at it to see what i could do.

She then produced a list of issues, as follows (in her own words):

- Floppy drive sometimes doesn't save, computer then stalls and crashes
    - Laptop has been put back to factory settings twice
    - Laptop crashes when there is lots of work being done
    - Lines on screen fixed last Oct/Nov, computer crashing since, especially floppy drive

So thats it guys!
    I havent had a proper look at it yet but it seems like this baby is a bit worse for wear!

Anybody any ideas as what the underlying problem(s) is?

Thanks in advance

r3b007

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    Hmm, maybe the CPU fan is not working, so it crashes if it gets too hot. What OS is she running. Also try to get one of those floppy disks which clean the drive. Maybe its heads are dirty or something

Also check to see if the BIOS is setup correctly. My first guess though is the fan from the CPU.

Good luck.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

It's a gas!
    Thanks for the input instronics, appreciated!
    Im just going to establish exactly what the problem is, then tell her what parts she needs replacing!

Cheers

It's a gas!
    Thanks for the input instronics, appreciated!
    Im just going to establish exactly what the problem is, then tell her what parts she needs replacing!

Cheers

I havent had a proper look at it yet but it seems like this baby is a bit worse for wear!
    that may be your underlining problem there.. certainly if it is running win9x a dicky FDD will cause the o/s to lock during read or write/verify operations. so insotronics advice is first.. Clean the FDD and check the CPU fan, oh and any of the air ducts.. are they full of fluff and dust? double check the seating of the memory modules / plugs for the fdd and the HDD .. that is about all you can easily do with a laptop.

all the best

cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

that may be your underlining problem there.. certainly if it is running win9x a dicky FDD will cause the o/s to lock during read or write/verify operations. so insotronics advice is first.. Clean the FDD and check the CPU fan, oh and any of the air ducts.. are they full of fluff and dust? double check the seating of the memory modules / plugs for the fdd and the HDD .. that is about all you can easily do with a laptop.

all the best

cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

It's a gas!
    Well funnily enough it is running win98! Go figure.
    Right, so suggestions so far:

- Check CPU fan is working correctly
    - Clean FDD
    - Clean air ducts
    - Check seating of RAM
    - Check plugs of HDD and FDD

Any more suggestions?
    Thanks again guys!

It's a gas!
    Well funnily enough it is running win98! Go figure.
    Right, so suggestions so far:

- Check CPU fan is working correctly
    - Clean FDD
    - Clean air ducts
    - Check seating of RAM
    - Check plugs of HDD and FDD

Any more suggestions?
    Thanks again guys!

had slightly similar problem before we were able to fix it by dismantling the laptop and reassembling it back...it appears taht you might have some lose connections inside.
    Hope this helps

had slightly similar problem before we were able to fix it by dismantling the laptop and reassembling it back...it appears taht you might have some lose connections inside.
    Hope this helps