Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Compaq Presario h/w problem help!

I own a Compaq Presario 1277 laptop, it has a problem with lines and artifacts due to the on board video. Unfortunetly you have to replace the motherboard to fix this problem. By the way if you do take the machine apart, do a search for a parts/troubleshooting manual on compaq's website so you don't break any parts when disassembling the thing. I have tons of info on this laptop and running Linux so if you need a hand bug me or something..

good luck

I own a Compaq Presario 1277 laptop, it has a problem with lines and artifacts due to the on board video. Unfortunetly you have to replace the motherboard to fix this problem. By the way if you do take the machine apart, do a search for a parts/troubleshooting manual on compaq's website so you don't break any parts when disassembling the thing. I have tons of info on this laptop and running Linux so if you need a hand bug me or something..

good luck

O i for to post agin on this thread so here it goes .....

i use to work at a compter repair shop .....
    and compaq and hp was the most computer that i saw there .
    see anything wrong with that ?
    my bro says if you overclock it it will cause it to freez up and crash ...

-alpa

O i for to post agin on this thread so here it goes .....

i use to work at a compter repair shop .....
    and compaq and hp was the most computer that i saw there .
    see anything wrong with that ?
    my bro says if you overclock it it will cause it to freez up and crash ...

-alpa

I also worked in computer repair. I once a long long time ago bought a presario and had it for about 2 days. *Hint* If she owns one of these things I am truly sorry. I am with everyone else here - what it sounds like is a definate thermal issue. theres one other thing you can try after you clean it out - and this sounds FUNNY but its a proven working method. run it, and if it crashes let it cool then place it on top of a huge boxfan on high. the air will help cool it enough to experiment. if it still crashes after this, then your issue is not as likely to be a thermal one, as most of the heat in a laptop is dissapated thru the bottom. (thats where the mobo is)
    I used to do this with a PC in the summer that I overclocked. The internal case temp would get too high on real hot days, so I slid the side off and bungied a fan to it. is it pretty? no. Quiet? no. effective? You bet.
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

I also worked in computer repair. I once a long long time ago bought a presario and had it for about 2 days. *Hint* If she owns one of these things I am truly sorry. I am with everyone else here - what it sounds like is a definate thermal issue. theres one other thing you can try after you clean it out - and this sounds FUNNY but its a proven working method. run it, and if it crashes let it cool then place it on top of a huge boxfan on high. the air will help cool it enough to experiment. if it still crashes after this, then your issue is not as likely to be a thermal one, as most of the heat in a laptop is dissapated thru the bottom. (thats where the mobo is)
    I used to do this with a PC in the summer that I overclocked. The internal case temp would get too high on real hot days, so I slid the side off and bungied a fan to it. is it pretty? no. Quiet? no. effective? You bet.
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

presario 3000

hi, i have a presario 3000 n i just recently found out that one of the fans is not working(the one at the right side of the computer). its weird coz I always could feel the fan from the side of my laptop last time. I tried letting it running for few days(let the laptop get hot) but the fan still isnt working.
    i did bring it to the shop few days ago though, without checking the repairman said there's no problem, the fan sometimes just aint working if it is not hot.
    well, the repairman really sucks honestly...he didnt even check it, how if the fan really not working??
    have any idea how to check??

Nb. my comp still running fine, never crash.

If the fan is temperature controlled there should be an option in your BIOS or in some special compaq management software on your machine, that will let you disable the control and have the fan always on.

Otherwise you should be at least able to set the temperature very low so that it does activate.

Either of those options should tell you if it is working.

fan

well, i tried to find the software...but i din see anything(compaq prob dun hav that kind of software) or i just couldnt find it, aw... i dont really understand about BIOS...
    the fan still isnt working although ive let run for 3 straight days...
    thanks anyway...I really appreciate it...

Well,

I checked the model, and yes, that fan is temperature activated and will only start if triggered by the right temperature.

Incidentally I would not recommend leaving laptops on for days at a time, they are just not designed for it.

Cheers