Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question to the Mods/Admins?

It's a gas!

Question to the Mods/Admins?

Just a quick question!

Im just wondering why THIS thread was moved from *nix discussion forums to General Chit Chat?

After all it is a *nix related query!

Can you clear this up, im just a little confused?

<edit>I have just replied to this thread and it hasnt registered on the main page, it still shows rcgreen as the last reply! Bug maybe?</edit>

<2nd edit>Have i missed something since i was last here (6pm GMT yesterday) because i just had a look at all the threads on the main page and there is not one General Chit Chat thread!</2nd edit>

Cheers

r3b007

Banned
    r3b00+ :

I didn't move it, but I'll try to answer your question: the title of the forum you posted your question in, is '*nix SECURITY Discussions'. I guess that's why it was moved to GCC. It was moved leaving a redirect in *nix Security Discussions (setting the date to 01-01-1970 on the front page - a little bug indeed, but a quick way to see wether a thread has been moved or not). Since your post is in GCC now, the front page won't be updated (since the thread on the front page is your original thread in *nix Security Discussions)...

Banned
    r3b00+ :

I didn't move it, but I'll try to answer your question: the title of the forum you posted your question in, is '*nix SECURITY Discussions'. I guess that's why it was moved to GCC. It was moved leaving a redirect in *nix Security Discussions (setting the date to 01-01-1970 on the front page - a little bug indeed, but a quick way to see wether a thread has been moved or not). Since your post is in GCC now, the front page won't be updated (since the thread on the front page is your original thread in *nix Security Discussions)...

>i just had a look at all the threads on the main page and there is not one General Chit Chat thread

That is correct, going forward there will be no threads from General Chit Chat (or Roll Call, or other non-security topics) on the main page. This won't affect the Chit Chat or other forums, they're all still there, but they won't show up on the main page. We'd been asked by many good folks here to restrict the main page to security issues, and felt it was a great suggestion.

>i just had a look at all the threads on the main page and there is not one General Chit Chat thread

That is correct, going forward there will be no threads from General Chit Chat (or Roll Call, or other non-security topics) on the main page. This won't affect the Chit Chat or other forums, they're all still there, but they won't show up on the main page. We'd been asked by many good folks here to restrict the main page to security issues, and felt it was a great suggestion.

Originally posted here by intmon

Good deal - hopefully now we will start to see an increase in the amount of security related posts here at AO. Afterall, that is what we came to the site in the first place for - security issues. I think this is a pretty good idea....

Originally posted here by intmon

Good deal - hopefully now we will start to see an increase in the amount of security related posts here at AO. Afterall, that is what we came to the site in the first place for - security issues. I think this is a pretty good idea....

I think that keeping GCC and like forums off the main page is a _GREAT_ idea.. kudos to the new owners on doing something beneficial to the site. If more changes like this come I think a lot of us will willingly accept them. I know I will.

I think that keeping GCC and like forums off the main page is a _GREAT_ idea.. kudos to the new owners on doing something beneficial to the site. If more changes like this come I think a lot of us will willingly accept them. I know I will.

Haha....wait til all kinds of crap starts showing up in forums it's not supposed to be in. JP has done this, at *least* once, and twice I think. It's never worked.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.