Thread: Linux partitioning question, AGAIN!

It's a gas!

Linux partitioning question, AGAIN!

How can i partition an existing Linux install.
    I have one root dir on the partition, but thats it!

Should i use fdisk and if so anybody any pointers?

Thanks

Antionline Herpetologist
    If you do repartition, you have to reinstall. Some things don't change with OS's. If you have to reinstall anyway, you might as well use fdisk from the slackware CD. However, if you only want to add a partition, then yes, use fdisk to partition.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

It's a gas!
    What i meant was how do i create partitions such as /tmp, /home, /usr, etc. on my existing / (root) partition?

Or is that what you were talking about?

Cheers

Antionline Herpetologist
    If you want to create separate partitions for /home, /tmp, /var, /usr, etc., you have two choices. One is, if you have a shitload of space and really don't want to reinstall linux (which you'll have to if you repartition), you can use "fdisk /dev/hda " and add partitions of appropriate size. After that, you can edit /etc/fstab to mount each new partition in the appropriate locations. Then move all the stuff from the respective directories on your / partition to the new partitions. And then reboot. On the other hand, if you don't mind reinstalling, just repartition in the Slackware installation program and set up the mount points there.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

What i meant was how do i create partitions such as /tmp, /home, /usr, etc. on my existing / (root) partition?
    If you have unpartitioned space on the drive, just create what you want with FDISK.
    If the entire drive is a single root partition, with no unpartitioned space, you
    should be able to resize (shrink) your existing partition with partition magic.
    Then you could make the new partitions in the free space.

Since you already have all the directories /home, /usr and so forth on the
    existing partition, it will be tricky to create new partitions for these directories
    and then mount them appropriately. One of our gurus might be able to tell
    you how to do this..

Me, I would trash the existing installation and reinstall, creating the partitions I want at that time.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

It's a gas!
    Once again thanks for the replies, extremely helpful!
    I think it would be a tad less painstaking to just reinstall, so i think thats what im going to do!

Cheers guys

r3b007