True Patriotism
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: True Patriotism

True Patriotism

A picture speaks a thousand words.
    Attached is a picture you have to see. We define patriotism, render
    respect and honor and pay tribute in many ways. Some people have a
    different level of devotion and a different level of pride, some just
    show it differently. Regardless, it is what's in your heart that matters.
    As you open this picture below think of the millions of Americans who
    have come before us, served their country and then come home only to be
    forgotten, left behind and in some cases, even discarded by the same
    people they fought to defend. Remember those who valiantly served
    and were cursed when they came home. The gentleman in this attachment is
    unknown to me. I don't know who he is, where he has been or even if
    he ever served a day in the military. BUT, by his action I would be
    willing to bet that he served his country, proudly and with honor, and in his
    heart is still serving by doing all that he can to show his love for
    his country.

-author unknown
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

True Patriotism

A picture speaks a thousand words.
    Attached is a picture you have to see. We define patriotism, render
    respect and honor and pay tribute in many ways. Some people have a
    different level of devotion and a different level of pride, some just
    show it differently. Regardless, it is what's in your heart that matters.
    As you open this picture below think of the millions of Americans who
    have come before us, served their country and then come home only to be
    forgotten, left behind and in some cases, even discarded by the same
    people they fought to defend. Remember those who valiantly served
    and were cursed when they came home. The gentleman in this attachment is
    unknown to me. I don't know who he is, where he has been or even if
    he ever served a day in the military. BUT, by his action I would be
    willing to bet that he served his country, proudly and with honor, and in his
    heart is still serving by doing all that he can to show his love for
    his country.

-author unknown
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

hello,
    That man deserve great respect for several reasons:
    1 he is an elder and as one they should always be repected at least for that for they have lived thing that we cannot even iomagine and we can learn from their experince...
    2 i believe that man of tha age has probably served his country and he knows what he did for the flag and that he will respect it till his last day...
    3 shame on the people around him ...

there are discussion going on around (in the states, and even in france ...) about the right to burn a flag. several issues are raised in that act but a lot of the protesters don't actually know what it means for so many others, i think that there shoudl be some type of civil education mandatory for everyone to know what a flag really represent and mean.
    education=prevention

peace out
    assembly.... digital dna ?

hello,
    That man deserve great respect for several reasons:
    1 he is an elder and as one they should always be repected at least for that for they have lived thing that we cannot even iomagine and we can learn from their experince...
    2 i believe that man of tha age has probably served his country and he knows what he did for the flag and that he will respect it till his last day...
    3 shame on the people around him ...

there are discussion going on around (in the states, and even in france ...) about the right to burn a flag. several issues are raised in that act but a lot of the protesters don't actually know what it means for so many others, i think that there shoudl be some type of civil education mandatory for everyone to know what a flag really represent and mean.
    education=prevention

peace out
    assembly.... digital dna ?

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    RE: Burning the flag

I personally would not use this form of protest, though could understand how it would be protected, freedom of speech, expression blah blah blah.

I had to cover Freedom of Speech in a 6th grade social studies class I was teaching today. What it comes down to is respect. Even if a symbol or flag means nothing to me, it could mean something to someone else. By burning it I show not only my disrespect for the symbol but for those that respect it. By showing disrespect for others, I show disrespect for myself.

We have freedoms in the US that we hold sacred. In declaring our freedom of expression we also have to acknowledge others rights to disagree with us. All in all, if we repected each other to begin with we wouldn't have half the issues we tend to have.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    RE: Burning the flag

I personally would not use this form of protest, though could understand how it would be protected, freedom of speech, expression blah blah blah.

I had to cover Freedom of Speech in a 6th grade social studies class I was teaching today. What it comes down to is respect. Even if a symbol or flag means nothing to me, it could mean something to someone else. By burning it I show not only my disrespect for the symbol but for those that respect it. By showing disrespect for others, I show disrespect for myself.

We have freedoms in the US that we hold sacred. In declaring our freedom of expression we also have to acknowledge others rights to disagree with us. All in all, if we repected each other to begin with we wouldn't have half the issues we tend to have.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    korpdeath, that was powerful beyond words.

nabylbt, you said:
    i think that there shoudl be some type of civil education mandatory for everyone to know what a flag really represent and mean.
    Yes, I agree most people know very little about flag etiquette. I have an embarassing example from my past. I used to be president of the Brazos Valley Civil War Round Table (about 7 years ago). This group is made up of almost no women, mostly older vets, professors, and judges. These are people who have a major and vested interest in our country. Anyway, the country club where we held our meetings had staff that would "set up" the room for us. On this particular night the staff had put the Texas flag and the United States flag on the wrong sides of the room. I was horrified that I didn't even notice! One of the elderly members had to inform me of this gross "oversite". Needless to say that never happened again. But to think that this matter seems trivial to people is beyond my comprehension....it is after all a symbol....not just a bunch colored fabric.

nabylbt, while I agree that educating kids/people about the flag and its etiquette is a good idea....I have to take issue with "mandatory". Mandatory is a slippery slope.

Here is a good link on flag etiquette.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    korpdeath, that was powerful beyond words.

nabylbt, you said:
    i think that there shoudl be some type of civil education mandatory for everyone to know what a flag really represent and mean.
    Yes, I agree most people know very little about flag etiquette. I have an embarassing example from my past. I used to be president of the Brazos Valley Civil War Round Table (about 7 years ago). This group is made up of almost no women, mostly older vets, professors, and judges. These are people who have a major and vested interest in our country. Anyway, the country club where we held our meetings had staff that would "set up" the room for us. On this particular night the staff had put the Texas flag and the United States flag on the wrong sides of the room. I was horrified that I didn't even notice! One of the elderly members had to inform me of this gross "oversite". Needless to say that never happened again. But to think that this matter seems trivial to people is beyond my comprehension....it is after all a symbol....not just a bunch colored fabric.

nabylbt, while I agree that educating kids/people about the flag and its etiquette is a good idea....I have to take issue with "mandatory". Mandatory is a slippery slope.

Here is a good link on flag etiquette.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

I respect that man. He honours his country.

On the other hand I think our patritism at this time comes from Fox. Mont young people don't serve for this country. Our country doesn't do much to be proud of. Our country doesn't do anything to be proud of were we helped with. We just stay at home watching television. At least most of us. There are people who do things, those know who they are.

http://www.whitehouse.org/initiative.../be_afraid.asp

http://www.whitehouse.org/initiatives/posters/index.asp

--- Volume

I respect that man. He honours his country.

On the other hand I think our patritism at this time comes from Fox. Mont young people don't serve for this country. Our country doesn't do much to be proud of. Our country doesn't do anything to be proud of were we helped with. We just stay at home watching television. At least most of us. There are people who do things, those know who they are.

http://www.whitehouse.org/initiative.../be_afraid.asp

http://www.whitehouse.org/initiatives/posters/index.asp

--- Volume