Whats An Easy Way To Put On Linux
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats An Easy Way To Put On Linux

Banned

HOW SHOULD I MAKE ROOM FOR LINUX

I am going to get linux very soon and I was wondering how exactly do I partition a drive. I dont want you to read this and think that I am just asking you without first looking for help. I have looked and I havent found what I needed to know. Maybe I've just been looking in the wrong places. Anyways I wanted to know how I could cut my windows 98 partition into half its original space and give the rest to linux when I install it. Please send me an answer or a place where I can get an answer if you read this.

Thanks,
    Chris H.

Banned

HOW SHOULD I MAKE ROOM FOR LINUX

I am going to get linux very soon and I was wondering how exactly do I partition a drive. I dont want you to read this and think that I am just asking you without first looking for help. I have looked and I havent found what I needed to know. Maybe I've just been looking in the wrong places. Anyways I wanted to know how I could cut my windows 98 partition into half its original space and give the rest to linux when I install it. Please send me an answer or a place where I can get an answer if you read this.

Thanks,
    Chris H.

Well the cheapest way would be to download, but me personally...i buy it, i like getting the books for install help, id reccommend to buy it and that way you have install help to follow along with, id recommend SuSe or mandrake for a first time because those are way easy, everyone will say redhat but personally for me i did mandrake with no book after a few times, and SuSe i saw a review, the install was only 3 clicks for default and for the most part itll even partition and resize Windows for you so id say go with that, but if you dont buy it, http://www.linux.org has an install for beginers that will help you out, and of course of you buy it almost every distro will show you how to partition if you wanna run it alongside Windows and will also show you how to install if you want just Linux, if you need anymore help jsut reply, the Linux install has came a looooong way.

Also, just for future postings, read the site FAQs, the how do i or what is is very misleading to a newbie and is sposed to only have questions about Antionline.com itself, good luck.

I just reread your question you edited.

for an easy install, buy Suse Linux, its very simple and is also a good distro to start with and will also coach you into getting better at it because it includes advanced tools also you can learn when you get more into Linux.

Well the cheapest way would be to download, but me personally...i buy it, i like getting the books for install help, id reccommend to buy it and that way you have install help to follow along with, id recommend SuSe or mandrake for a first time because those are way easy, everyone will say redhat but personally for me i did mandrake with no book after a few times, and SuSe i saw a review, the install was only 3 clicks for default and for the most part itll even partition and resize Windows for you so id say go with that, but if you dont buy it, http://www.linux.org has an install for beginers that will help you out, and of course of you buy it almost every distro will show you how to partition if you wanna run it alongside Windows and will also show you how to install if you want just Linux, if you need anymore help jsut reply, the Linux install has came a looooong way.

Also, just for future postings, read the site FAQs, the how do i or what is is very misleading to a newbie and is sposed to only have questions about Antionline.com itself, good luck.

I just reread your question you edited.

for an easy install, buy Suse Linux, its very simple and is also a good distro to start with and will also coach you into getting better at it because it includes advanced tools also you can learn when you get more into Linux.

I agree completly suse is the ****, when you buy the professional edition (usually 70 dollars) you get 7 CDs and a DVD, you can install from either you want, it also will try and find your Windows partition and help you resize it, if that doesnt wanna work you can use something like partition magic wich will do it fairly nice.

I agree completly suse is the ****, when you buy the professional edition (usually 70 dollars) you get 7 CDs and a DVD, you can install from either you want, it also will try and find your Windows partition and help you resize it, if that doesnt wanna work you can use something like partition magic wich will do it fairly nice.

I think this site is what you are looking for.
    -----> http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~c...stallation.php

Hope that site helped.
    [glowpurple]NooNoo\'s [/glowpurple]

I think this site is what you are looking for.
    -----> http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~c...stallation.php

Hope that site helped.
    [glowpurple]NooNoo\'s [/glowpurple]

Linux Install

For the first time user installing Linux, I would recommend the following:

If you have more than one drive, keep all your important data on one drive, disconnect the drive's ide cable for installation, to ensure you don't lose the data, by formatting wrong partition or something. Then do the Linux install one the other drive. I would recommend Red Hat Linux 8, it's very user friendly

If you only have one drive, than you really want to make sure your important data is all backed up and that it's not sitting on the partition you mean to install linux on. Again, I recommend using Red Hat Linux 8, but that's up to you.

PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

Linux Install

For the first time user installing Linux, I would recommend the following:

If you have more than one drive, keep all your important data on one drive, disconnect the drive's ide cable for installation, to ensure you don't lose the data, by formatting wrong partition or something. Then do the Linux install one the other drive. I would recommend Red Hat Linux 8, it's very user friendly

If you only have one drive, than you really want to make sure your important data is all backed up and that it's not sitting on the partition you mean to install linux on. Again, I recommend using Red Hat Linux 8, but that's up to you.

PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com