Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fantastic data recovery tool

I'm with Ms. Mittens a *nix version would be nice, thtnks for all the links, though
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

I'm with Ms. Mittens a *nix version would be nice, thtnks for all the links, though
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

I Googled Data Recovery Linux and came up with several hits including this one. Since I can barely spell Linux I don't know if it's helpful.
    - Runner -

I Googled Data Recovery Linux and came up with several hits including this one. Since I can barely spell Linux I don't know if it's helpful.
    - Runner -

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Hrmm.. Thanks. The only problem with that one is that is has to be run on Windows (sorta defeats the purpose, IMHO). But anyways, it looks interesting. I think I will have to do some research into this.

A-ha! I found some. First off, nice article at LinuxSecurity. . You'll have to search for the tool [b]bmap[/url]. It's a nifty little tool. I found it at SecurityFocus (requires root to run).

Of course, there is the HOWTO on Undeletion and The Coroner's Toolkit (TCT).

I checked out two of the tools mentioned in the article and the most promising of the two (e2undel vs recover) seemed to be Recover. It actually has a nice interface and asked me questions to recover files I had deleted earlier in the day.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Hrmm.. Thanks. The only problem with that one is that is has to be run on Windows (sorta defeats the purpose, IMHO). But anyways, it looks interesting. I think I will have to do some research into this.

A-ha! I found some. First off, nice article at LinuxSecurity. . You'll have to search for the tool [b]bmap[/url]. It's a nifty little tool. I found it at SecurityFocus (requires root to run).

Of course, there is the HOWTO on Undeletion and The Coroner's Toolkit (TCT).

I checked out two of the tools mentioned in the article and the most promising of the two (e2undel vs recover) seemed to be Recover. It actually has a nice interface and asked me questions to recover files I had deleted earlier in the day.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Antionline Herpetologist
    Googling for, free linux undelete tool, I found a bunch of links. Here ya go:
    R-Linux (has to be run off windows)
    Undelete 0.6 (alpha software)
    Some documentation and source
    Libtrash
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi

Edit: Whoops! Sorry about that, I didn't look at streetrunner's link before I put mine up. My first link leads to the same page as his link :s
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Antionline Herpetologist
    Googling for, free linux undelete tool, I found a bunch of links. Here ya go:
    R-Linux (has to be run off windows)
    Undelete 0.6 (alpha software)
    Some documentation and source
    Libtrash
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi

Edit: Whoops! Sorry about that, I didn't look at streetrunner's link before I put mine up. My first link leads to the same page as his link :s
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    A few things to note about Disk Investigator:

1) It is great for W98, ME or W95 but it does not currently show deleted files on NTFS partitions in Directory View mode. Kinda limits the use right now but the developer states that this will change in future releases.
    2) It installs on to your hard drive which may actually overwrite the data you are trying to recover.

LC Technologies makes a nice recovery tool but you have to pay them for it. I use it currently and I have no complaints. It works almost exactly like Disk Investigator only it is run from a CD, not from your hard drive. It also allows for better searching and recovery. Incase anyone is interested, here is a link to their site:
    www.lc-tech.com

Hope this helps!
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Like the fact that it runs off a CD instead of the hard drive-
    \"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion.