Getting FreeBSD Installed
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting FreeBSD Installed

Unhappy Getting FreeBSD Installed

Ok, another epidsode with the old pc. I have Mandrake installed on it now... not the newest version... i think it's 9.0? Anyway, with Mandrake's business an uncertainty, and me always wanting the newest stuff, I need a change of OS.

Call me stupid, but i can't find ISO images on Red Hat's Site...

SUSE doesn't let you download the newest version right?

So, onto FreeBSD.
    So far so good, easy to find ISOs, good instructions on which ones to download, burning went flawlessly.

But, the pc won't boot from cd, even when i change the start up options in the BIOS. So, i make the recommended boot floppies. When i instert the first floppy (kern.flp) everything goes smoothly and then it askes me for the other disk (mfsroot.flp). It put a screen of text on my moniter and then stops... nothing seemed to be doing anything... the floppy wasn't clicking, the cd wasn't spinning...

Is there a way inside mandrake to force it to boot from a cd? Or, should i delete mandrake/format? If so, could you tell me how to do that... i'm a *NIX newbi

~SonicDragon
    http://sonicdragon.fateback.com
    Bringing a Little Fun to Tech!

Unhappy Getting FreeBSD Installed

Ok, another epidsode with the old pc. I have Mandrake installed on it now... not the newest version... i think it's 9.0? Anyway, with Mandrake's business an uncertainty, and me always wanting the newest stuff, I need a change of OS.

Call me stupid, but i can't find ISO images on Red Hat's Site...

SUSE doesn't let you download the newest version right?

So, onto FreeBSD.
    So far so good, easy to find ISOs, good instructions on which ones to download, burning went flawlessly.

But, the pc won't boot from cd, even when i change the start up options in the BIOS. So, i make the recommended boot floppies. When i instert the first floppy (kern.flp) everything goes smoothly and then it askes me for the other disk (mfsroot.flp). It put a screen of text on my moniter and then stops... nothing seemed to be doing anything... the floppy wasn't clicking, the cd wasn't spinning...

Is there a way inside mandrake to force it to boot from a cd? Or, should i delete mandrake/format? If so, could you tell me how to do that... i'm a *NIX newbi

~SonicDragon
    http://sonicdragon.fateback.com
    Bringing a Little Fun to Tech!

To download RH isos and get a large selection of other distros (including bsd) go to:

www.linuxiso.org

Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

To download RH isos and get a large selection of other distros (including bsd) go to:

www.linuxiso.org

Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I've never installed from floopies, I paid like 9.00 USD for the four CD set of the newest stable version, and will continue to, but I notice during everytime that I've installed it (compulsive reformater here, heh), the install will seem to stall for awhile on certain pieces of hardware, for me it was my HDD, SCSI went pretty quick but the ATI's sat for a long time before the installation continued. . .wish I could help you more, maybe just reformatting everything like you suggested will work, but I would have to recommend getting the CD's, can't beat ten buck for 7,000+ apps and a kick butt OS. . .

~edit.. .to reformat, you should be able to do that with the Mandrake install disks and then just stop the installation process after you're done reformatting, otherwise put fdisk on a floppy and do it that way.
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

I've never installed from floopies, I paid like 9.00 USD for the four CD set of the newest stable version, and will continue to, but I notice during everytime that I've installed it (compulsive reformater here, heh), the install will seem to stall for awhile on certain pieces of hardware, for me it was my HDD, SCSI went pretty quick but the ATI's sat for a long time before the installation continued. . .wish I could help you more, maybe just reformatting everything like you suggested will work, but I would have to recommend getting the CD's, can't beat ten buck for 7,000+ apps and a kick butt OS. . .

~edit.. .to reformat, you should be able to do that with the Mandrake install disks and then just stop the installation process after you're done reformatting, otherwise put fdisk on a floppy and do it that way.
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

Its good to see that you paid for it, i payed for my "The Complete Free BSD" HUGE book and 4 system CDs and 6 CDs of tools, very nice i think, so yea maybe 10 dollars to buy it is a good idea. i bought my first version but i downloaded 4.7 and put the ISOs on CD from my Linux box and tested them to be sure they worked, i could boot from them fnie, you may wanna subscribe to Free BSD newbies the newsletter, alot of people seem to have a problem making ISOs work and so you may wanna give that one a try, maybe they were burned wrong or something. Anyway, good luck.

Its good to see that you paid for it, i payed for my "The Complete Free BSD" HUGE book and 4 system CDs and 6 CDs of tools, very nice i think, so yea maybe 10 dollars to buy it is a good idea. i bought my first version but i downloaded 4.7 and put the ISOs on CD from my Linux box and tested them to be sure they worked, i could boot from them fnie, you may wanna subscribe to Free BSD newbies the newsletter, alot of people seem to have a problem making ISOs work and so you may wanna give that one a try, maybe they were burned wrong or something. Anyway, good luck.

you might want to try remaking the cd if you used the "track at once" option. try the "disk at once" for EZ cd creator. if you want to boot from cd

the instructions for cd install using floppies is in the floppies directory called readme.txt:

For a normal CDROM or network installation, all you need to copy onto
    actual floppies from the floppies/ directory are the kern.flp and
    mfsroot.flp images (for 1.44MB floppies)...

you might want to try remaking the cd if you used the "track at once" option. try the "disk at once" for EZ cd creator. if you want to boot from cd

the instructions for cd install using floppies is in the floppies directory called readme.txt:

For a normal CDROM or network installation, all you need to copy onto
    actual floppies from the floppies/ directory are the kern.flp and
    mfsroot.flp images (for 1.44MB floppies)...