Thread: Latest Tech Book you've read

Question Latest Tech Book you've read

Just wondering what the latest book that you've been reading and how it's helped you. The latest one I've been delving into has been, "Running Qmail". Qmail is sweet, but oh my gosh is it tedious to get the IMAP daemon working with it. I had the POP3 server working, but POP3 doesn't work with SquirrelMail, so I'm trying to migrate. Another two books that I have been reading lately are "Programming in Perl" and one on IPTables Firewalls. Just a geneal topic for the AO members.....Hopefully there will be some helpful info. coming out of it to pass on to other users.

Question Latest Tech Book you've read

Just wondering what the latest book that you've been reading and how it's helped you. The latest one I've been delving into has been, "Running Qmail". Qmail is sweet, but oh my gosh is it tedious to get the IMAP daemon working with it. I had the POP3 server working, but POP3 doesn't work with SquirrelMail, so I'm trying to migrate. Another two books that I have been reading lately are "Programming in Perl" and one on IPTables Firewalls. Just a geneal topic for the AO members.....Hopefully there will be some helpful info. coming out of it to pass on to other users.

I've really enjoyed the revised edition of Steal This Compter Book by Wallace Wang, though I'm just about done with it and ready to being "The Art of Deception" by Kevin Mitnick. STCB comes with a CD full of security goodies, too, so that's an added bonus.
    http://members.cox.net/blankman71/BlankNUBanner.gif
    BlankCo INC., Supplying Nebraska With Office Linebackers Since January 2003
    \"That\'ll teach you to whistle on the Sabbath!\" - Homer Simpson

I've really enjoyed the revised edition of Steal This Compter Book by Wallace Wang, though I'm just about done with it and ready to being "The Art of Deception" by Kevin Mitnick. STCB comes with a CD full of security goodies, too, so that's an added bonus.
    http://members.cox.net/blankman71/BlankNUBanner.gif
    BlankCo INC., Supplying Nebraska With Office Linebackers Since January 2003
    \"That\'ll teach you to whistle on the Sabbath!\" - Homer Simpson

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I played with Qmail a bit. It's a pain to setup but once it's set then everything is fine.

My latest books have been on *nix security:

O'Reilly's Building Secure Servers with Linux by Michael Bauer (very good)

Guide to Linux Networking and Security by Wells (good for beginner)

Real World Linux Security, 2nd Edition by Bob Toxen (AMAZING!) -- This one will probably be the course book for a Linux Security Course I'm developing.

In addition, I recently was given by the publisher a review copy of Network Intrusion Detection, 3rd Edition by Stephen Northcutt. By far the "GOD" of IDs. I've read both the first and 2nd editions cover-to-cover, multiple times. I'm looking forward to making this one my new "bible" of IDS. Maybe that will be next year's course: IDS a la SNORT, Shadow and ISS Real Secure.

I also read Honeypots by Lance Spitzer, who is part of the HoneyNet Project. It's an excellent book on how to build a honeypot, why you'd want to and things to consider like entrapment. It's very good. I was given a review copy by the publisher of Know Your Enemy: Revealing the Security Tools, Tactics, and Motives of the Blackhat Community written by the Honeynet Project. That one will be on my list of summer reads.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I played with Qmail a bit. It's a pain to setup but once it's set then everything is fine.

My latest books have been on *nix security:

O'Reilly's Building Secure Servers with Linux by Michael Bauer (very good)

Guide to Linux Networking and Security by Wells (good for beginner)

Real World Linux Security, 2nd Edition by Bob Toxen (AMAZING!) -- This one will probably be the course book for a Linux Security Course I'm developing.

In addition, I recently was given by the publisher a review copy of Network Intrusion Detection, 3rd Edition by Stephen Northcutt. By far the "GOD" of IDs. I've read both the first and 2nd editions cover-to-cover, multiple times. I'm looking forward to making this one my new "bible" of IDS. Maybe that will be next year's course: IDS a la SNORT, Shadow and ISS Real Secure.

I also read Honeypots by Lance Spitzer, who is part of the HoneyNet Project. It's an excellent book on how to build a honeypot, why you'd want to and things to consider like entrapment. It's very good. I was given a review copy by the publisher of Know Your Enemy: Revealing the Security Tools, Tactics, and Motives of the Blackhat Community written by the Honeynet Project. That one will be on my list of summer reads.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage