script and cpu cache

Thread: script and cpu cache

script and cpu cache

i have been hearding about cache memory.. they have mention about script... just curious, what they meant by script?.. is it some sort of programming language?.. anybody knows?

sorry i forgot where i found the material..

Beverwijk Netherlands
    I don't get the question you are trying to ask !!

There are numerous (hundreds of) Script languages.. But what it has to do with CPU cache is beond me !!
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Cache memory is more of a generic term than something specific to an area. Cache can simply be thought of like a scratch pad, if there is something that is going to be needed alot or might be needed again, the program or hardware will write it down on the scratch pad (the cache) for quicker reference next time it is needed. It is for this reason that on modern OS's for example, if you load something like a web browser, then close it, then reopen it, it opens faster the second time because it was already cached in memory. I am not really aware of any scripting languages that would natively support a cache, not to mean you can't write on or have something in the program that acts like a is after all just a programming technique to enhance performance...

As far as CPU caches go, those are usually known as L2 caches and sit on the actual CPU itself. In order of fastest to slowest, the access times are from cpu registers, cpu cache, main memory, disk. If the CPU can avoid going out to main memory to access a value and can either store it on its registers or cache, then it can maintain operation at its normal operating speed (for example 2.4 Ghz) rather than having to go out to main memory, which runs on over a bus that is anywhere, right now, from 200 Mhz to 33 Mhz (most common is PCI which is 66 Mhz). If the CPU is much faster than the bus (which 2.4Ghz is obviously much faster than 66 Mhz), it would be beneficial to keep as much relevant info on chip to prevent slow downs (the CPU waiting on a main memory read/write)...

The topic of languages is pretty broad there to, you could start talking about the microcode of the actual CPU, the more general assembly code of the CPU, or you could talk about the compiled code of C (that when compiled is converted to assembly for the specific CPU), or you could talk about byte code (for example java, it is actually linked/built at run time, byte code is independent of the architecture underneath, which is why Java is popular).

Hope the explanation helped a little, can you be more specific as to what you are looking for?
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)