Thread: Microsoft IIS WebDAV Remote Compromise Vulnerability

Exclamation Microsoft IIS WebDAV Remote Compromise Vulnerability

A serious vulnerability exists within the WebDAV component of Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) Web server. WebDAV stands for "Web-based Distrbuted Authoring and Versioning". WebDAV extensions are used by administrators to manage and edit Web content remotely. WebDAV is enabled by default on IIS 5 installations, and no authentication or special privileges are required for remote exploitation.

Impact:
    It is possible for remote attackers to run arbitrary code on vulnerable Web servers. This vulnerability is currently being exploited in the wild, and X-Force has verified the existence of a functional exploit tool. This vulnerability is in itself very serious, but the existence of robust exploits in the wild dictates that fixes or temporary workarounds should be applied immediately.

Although it is possible to disable WebDAV, doing so requires manually creating a specific registry key. The IIS Lockdown Tool from Microsoft may or may not turn off WebDAV, depending on the server template selected at installation time.

http://www.issadvisor.com/viewtopic.php?t=191
    ISS you are the besthttp://www.issadvisor.com/images/personal/pisson.gifbecause you piss on the rest

[gloworange]www.issadvisor.com [/gloworange]

Thx for the heads up!
    Just patched my prod. IIS server
    Your post is actually the first "warning" I saw about the vuln. (Not that I didn't see it elsewhere just after, but AO being pretty much the first place I check when online, such "heads up"s can only help bugs visibility and awareness.

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

as i understand it this isn't your typical "i found a bug" article. there's proggies in the wild that exploit this quite well
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Ammo, wheres the patch located? I have to patch my IIS.
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

Try windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    ISS you are the besthttp://www.issadvisor.com/images/personal/pisson.gifbecause you piss on the rest

[gloworange]www.issadvisor.com [/gloworange]

I tend to shy away from windowsupdate.
    too much information sent to redmond.
    Id rather download the files myself then let MS decide what I need. besides theres been XP autoupdates that actually broke stuff.
    No thank you.
    powertoad: thanks bud
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.