Thread: IP masking?

Question IP masking?

hello antionline.
    a co-worker has been recieving some humorously harassing emails from another co-worker (he thinks) however, when we expand the header on the email it just comes up with the IP address of our firewall. is there any way we can get the real originating ip? we have outlook 2K and windows 2K
    thx

While it is possible to look at the email headers to see where the email originated, there are so many misconfigured SMTP servers on the net that allow relaying, just cause you find the IP of the server means very very little...chances are if the server is misconfigured to allow relay from anyone to anyone, they probably don't have good log tracking either...

Secondly, the headers of email can pretty trivially be forged and can not be trusted. You might could ask your firewall admin for help so that maybe they can do some email filtering (or maybe depending on your client they could setup rules, outlook lets you do this and I have it set up for an ex or two ), maybe an IP block, kind of depends...

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

thank you nebulus200. i don't think that any of my co-workers are smart enough to mask their ip though

Your firewall is probably a proxying firewall that acts as your domains MX, in which case, it would always look like it came from the firewall....which is why I suggested you talk to your firewall admin...

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)