Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing apps in Win 2K or XP WITHOUT admin rights.

Installing apps in Win 2K or XP WITHOUT admin rights.

Does anyone know of a way to give all users rights to install applications without giving them administrator or power user rights either domain wide or locally?

nope...
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

absolutly Nope!..

why?
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

LOL wondering y u all give such answer. And sorry also I don't know how.

It is possible to install *some* applications as a normal user, but in most cases you can't really consider it installing. It is more running of programs, and I'm sure most users should be able to run things. The Microsoft Applications will need power-users or admin to install if I'm not mistaken.

Anyways, the list of programs that they can *install* is very limited without higher rights.

Sorry I can't be of much help. Perhaps look into remotely administering the computers, but I don't know the specifics of that. Well, there might not be a way that you're looking for here (judging from the responses), but good luck finding another if that is the case.

-Tim_axe

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    Hi,

On my company laptop I didn't use to have the local admin - pwd. Then Icould install some programs, but most of them required at least local admin. Some programs that I could install,
    didn't work porperly.

My advice is : you can try to install, but there is lots of chance you'll get stuck.
    I suspect it's for your business-pc or so, cause if it would be your own pc, you wouldn't ask this question. Good luck.

greetz,
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

If you want, you can make a user a local admin to install programs locally.
    They would still be restricted on the network using groups/security settings and global policies. They won't have admin privledges on your network.

If you do this, I would recommend auditing software so you know what people are installing on their PCs. You can incorporate the audits with their logon scripts.

Otherwise, you could get users installing unauthorized software or even worse, unlicensed or pirated software and place the company in jeopardy. The fines for companies that use such software are much worse than that of an individual.

There is also a run-as feature. You can give users a user id and password for an admin account and have them request that the account is enabled when they need to install something. You could just disable it after that. Most people would not do this though.
    I think that is a very bad service to start with and ALWAYS disable that and secondary login.

Like others have said, power users are able to install some things but not all.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Users can nearly always install beta versions of software as these seem to ignore security settings.
    [pong][gloworange]665[/gloworange] Next door to the [glowpurple]devil[/glowpurple][/pong]

Some tools can be developed that use the run as functionality. In this situation you provide a local admin UID and pass to the install script and it installs as that user. I am not expert in this area but I worked with the SAP Net Install app that let me do this. I think Novell allows this and there might be other ways.

Cheers,
    -D
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

Possible but.....

It depends on what exactly you want the users to do.

For example if you wanted the user to install apps, so that the admin does not have to go round to each machine then assign / publish the software via a Group Policy. By default you have then given the user the right to install that software onto their machine without having admin. rights. Link the Group Policy to the domain container.

Bear in mind that any OUs can block policy inheritence and this could stop the install, however if you set the policy linked to the domain then set no override to install

Hope this helps

variable