Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: linux logging question

linux logging question

I am running a linux honeypot and am wondering if its possible to send port scans to a specific log file. For example, I might want to log all port scan attempts for port 31337, and send them to the /var/log/portscan log. Would portsentry work well in this situation? Thanks for any suggestions.

Nate

linux logging question

I am running a linux honeypot and am wondering if its possible to send port scans to a specific log file. For example, I might want to log all port scan attempts for port 31337, and send them to the /var/log/portscan log. Would portsentry work well in this situation? Thanks for any suggestions.

Nate

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Hrmm. I don't think I've ever configured something like that. You might want to look at snort's logging as they log per port, depending on setup.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Hrmm. I don't think I've ever configured something like that. You might want to look at snort's logging as they log per port, depending on setup.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

You could write a script, perl or shell, to parse the logfile each day and output the data for each port to it's own specific file......Good project to learn perl and/or shell programming...

You could write a script, perl or shell, to parse the logfile each day and output the data for each port to it's own specific file......Good project to learn perl and/or shell programming...

Computer Forensics
    tcpdump -netti IF port X > /var/log/portscan.log for example......quick dirty, but efficient.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Computer Forensics
    tcpdump -netti IF port X > /var/log/portscan.log for example......quick dirty, but efficient.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Originally posted here by d0ppelg@nger
    I do it kind of like this......only different.

I have traffic from my PIXes going to /var/log/local5 (which is the logging facility I use) then a Perl script picks through that for traffic I consider "interesting". The script changes depending on what I want to look at. Regardless, it dumps it all into a file named /var/log/traffic. I then check out the traffic logs once a day to see if anything strange is going on. So basically, this has been a very long way to say that d0ppelg@nger is right on with how to do it.

Originally posted here by d0ppelg@nger
    I do it kind of like this......only different.

I have traffic from my PIXes going to /var/log/local5 (which is the logging facility I use) then a Perl script picks through that for traffic I consider "interesting". The script changes depending on what I want to look at. Regardless, it dumps it all into a file named /var/log/traffic. I then check out the traffic logs once a day to see if anything strange is going on. So basically, this has been a very long way to say that d0ppelg@nger is right on with how to do it.