As for the atheists, I agree with you. Anyone who does not even acknowledge that other opinions exist is someone who really has not been able to form one of their own (IMO)
As Voltaire said, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." You're comment is stereotypical to say the least. What you just said can be applied to any religion. Atheism is nothing more than a religion (never say that to an Atheist tho). It's a religion that doesn't accept a god. I spent the majority of my life as an Atheist, I've heard all the arguments and I've argued all the points. Atheists acknowledge others opinions better than any religion out there. Try giving another opinion to a Catholic or a Baptist (since those are the most hardcore of the religions), or a Witness. You'll never convince them of other opinions. They are right and that's all that matters, you're wrong so you are going to hell... unless you are Catholic and repent on your death bed . I spent my childhood as a Catholic, my teen years as an Atheist, aside from a two year period where i dabled in Daoism (Taoism) and Buddhism, and recently I've been studying Christianity, attempting to move towards it. There are obviously your hardcore religious nuts out there, and that's fine... they're happy how they are. However, even if you aren't a hardcore religious nut, you need faith.

"You can do very little with faith, but you can do nothing without it" (Samuel Butler).

Religion VS Science is a horrible term. Religion is a form of faith, it's faith in what you believe is there - maybe what is really there, or maybe what you want to be there. Science is just another form of faith. It's faith in what you can prove, in what you can see. Atheism, it's faith again, faith that there is no higher power. They have said for 100s of years, that man needs religion. This isn't true. Man needs faith and Faith is what is important. Who cares what you have faith in. Be it faith in God, Jesus Christ, Jehoviah, Allah, Buddha, Satan, Zeus, Thor, Jupiter, Mars, Science, the lack of a god, or even in yourself. You need faith. If you have faith in something, anything. It will give you the strength to get threw the hardest times, which is why religion is so important to so many people.

In tradition with WWJD (What Would Jesus Do).. there's a new slogan out. PUSH (Pray Until Something Happens) and if that's what you have to do, but it gives strength and helps you carry on do it. Instead of contrasting these things, we should be comparing our beliefs and our faith, we'd have less wars and less problems.