FTP in DOS

Thread: FTP in DOS

FTP in DOS

hello, i have a little problem:
    I have set up an ftp server on port 111, which I can acces with WS_FTP, or through my "internet explorer"

when I try to open it with ftp on DOS, it doesn't seems to work....

F:\Documents and Settings\a>ftp
    ftp> open 172.16.74.167
    Connected to 172.16.74.167.
    220 Microsoft FTP Service
    User (172.16.75.168none)): a
    331 Password required for a.
    Password:
    530 User a cannot log in.
    Login failed.
    ftp>

I always print the right pass, but still....

does anyone knows the problem ??
    thanks.

is it set up for anonymous connections only? ws and ie will automatically log in anonymously.

if you think no the in IE or windows explorer try:

ftp://a:<password>@172.16.74.167

and in dos try using anonymous for the user name and a complete email addy for the password.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

if you think no the in IE or windows explorer try:

ftp://a:<password>@172.16.74.167
    If the ftp server is really set on port 111 (i wonder why) then try
    ftp://a:<password>@172.16.74.167:111

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds

It could also be an issue with active/passive FTP. I think the DOS version is only capable of doing active sessions, where IE is capable of doing both...Could be a firewall in the mix somewhere mucking with the data ports...

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

I think I found it...
    I didn't knew I had to type the port number after the IP

F:\>ftp
    ftp> open 172.16.74.167 111
    Connected to 172.16.74.167.
    220 Serv-U FTP Server v4.2 for WinSock ready...
    User (172.16.75.168none)): a
    331 User name okay, need password.
    Password:
    230 User logged in, proceed.

thanks all for your help !!

sorry andre overlooked that trying to get out the door
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Originally posted here by nebulus200
    It could also be an issue with active/passive FTP. I think the DOS version is only capable of doing active sessions, where IE is capable of doing both...Could be a firewall in the mix somewhere mucking with the data ports...

/nebulus
    I think, if that's the case, he would login successfully, the ftp client would accept commands but he'd get no answer. The firewall would pass the command traffic (outgoing - default on port 21) and block the data traffic (incoming - default on port 20).

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds