Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: could it be possible...

Listen, I'm not advising you to do anything against your company's policy, but circumventing that little nuisance is as easy as using ftp to copy your exe file to another ftp server where you can upload (have write priviledges), rename your exe file to something like txt , then download and rename back to exe. There, see, no magic to it. : ) Gotta think outside the box!

PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

Right, there are tons of easy ways of getting around "problems" that you come across. But if you go behide the rules and do things that are against policy, are you any better than a "hacker" who is trying to get accout records/information from your company? Policies are in place for a reason, and everyone should follow those rules unless otherwise told so.

Like here at my work. The policy says that we are not suppost to use any chat clients like AIM, ICQ, MSN, etc, but we all do. The reason is because I-Tech (the IT department) says that they know people will find ways around their security to do it. They personally don't care if something like that is on the computer, but don't want to get in trouble for it. So as long as it is out of sight and out of mind and you get your work done, no one cares.

Rather than tryig to get around the problem, talk to people and try to come to an understanding. If that is not possible, then follow the rules and do what you need to do at your house. It's not the answer people like to hear when they are stricted, but nevertheless it's the right answer.
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

I agree with AciDriveHB, if knowledge is all your wanting to know, make buddy's with your net admin, explain that you don't want to know how to go around his/her network, but are curious on how it works. I'm sure if your sincere enough, they will be more then happy to explain what they've done, and why. And if all else fails. . .Google it
    Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, "She doesn't have what it takes"; They will say, "Women don't have what it takes".
    Clare Boothe Luce

I agree with pureextacy. You could possibly download the files you want at work say at your home. Rename the files to a .txt or and extension of your choice, then create a remote connection to a specific folder on your home computer, download, rename the file back to the .exe or .zip file and run it.
    =

That sounds like a BIG security risk. What if the computer at home is infected with files, or the files that were downloaded... how would you explain an infection to the sys admin, like where it came from and how it happened, who did it, etc? It sounds like a way around the security measures, rather than just using the proper channels and such.
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

i work in a firm where i browse the net through a proxy. Now the problem is that the administrators have done something by which if i try to download any .zip or an .exe file it is not allowed . Any other downloadis accepted(eg .pdf , .gz etc). Could it be possible for me by any chance to download any .zip or .exe's ?? .How do they do that.
    In most proxies, such as squid, file type filtering is performed by using a regular expression to match the name of the file type(s) to filter. Hint: if you can think of a way to download the file(s) under a name with a different file extension, you'll probably get past the filtering. Of course you should make sure that this doesn't break any rules at work or you might have to find employment as an .exe downloader somewhere else.
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.