Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: could it be possible...

could it be possible...

hi fellows
    i work in a firm where i browse the net through a proxy. Now the problem is that the administrators have done something by which if i try to download any .zip or an .exe file it is not allowed . Any other downloadis accepted(eg .pdf , .gz etc). Could it be possible for me by any chance to download any .zip or .exe's ?? .How do they do that.

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    Hi.

Your administrators have done this for a reason. I would think that what you want todo is to bypass your firms policy. I also would think that you want to know how to bypass a security setting that has been put in place to stop people like you doing things that you want to do. Im sorry, but this is not what AO is for. Please read the FAQs here on AO and try to keep the subject legit.

Cheers.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

its jus about learning . the comp provides me the net to do . i can legally ask perm to download any thin i jus wanted to know if it is possible?? Coz in a proj i am to implement the code

I'm sure that your company will provide you with any files they feel are necessary for you to do your work. ~

PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

I just want to understand this though, they don't allow you to download any *.zip or *.exe files but will allow anything else like a *.tar.gz file type?
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

tsk tsk.....
    \"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them.\"
    Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

Most large companies have instituted this procedure in both email and downloads, so what's new

Originally posted here by blackart
    its jus about learning . the comp provides me the net to do . i can legally ask perm to download any thin i jus wanted to know if it is possible?? Coz in a proj i am to implement the code
    Learning what? The company provides the internet access probably to help do your job or at least research how to improve your job skills. Why not follow the company's procedures and not risk the chance of being fired becuase you violated their policy? What good is a security policy if everyone is wanting to bypass it? Might as well take off the firewalls, filters, and all, and then publish out your IP's so everyone will know where to go. Also what kind of code are you implementing? How is that relivant to the situation you are inquiring about?

I think he wants to know how it works. Not to curcumvent security but to undertand what its doin. I personally don't know but im sure theres someone that can help
    Ben Franklin said it best. \"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"

If you just wondering how it works, research it. This isn't much on how, more one why. There are software sets out that can be used to disable downloads of certain types of files. The same applies with email. Most business will have an email filter of some sort that will filter out emails with attachments that are too large, have a .exe attached, .vbs, etc...etc.. (more for virus and security protection). The restrict these to keep the machines safe from viruses and other malicious code.

Doesn't really explain much on the how, but this is a start on the why.
    The only limit a person has, is the limit they give themselves.
    Cogito ergo sum. - Descartes