Thread: At It Again?

At It Again?

I (shamefully) opened Help and Support in XP. Closed it. MSN Messenger had been signed out (DISCONNECTED) for well over half an hour. I then did netstat, producing three interesting connections . Observe attached picture.

After a tracert to the suspect I.P.'s, i found they were MS servers. All connections that I had authorised had been CLOSED. So how comes these are here? Has anyone got a clue?

From an MS server? I doubt it....

If you use a computer that has an Internet connection, when new Help information becomes available, these updates are downloaded automatically. These updates ensure that you always have the most recent, accurate self-help information.
    The complete article can be found here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;283372

Help and Support also collects information on your system hardware. You can completely disable Help and Support in your services manager, as it is service based, by disabling the service.

Try this easy thing http://207.46.248.122/

You will found that there are the www.search.microsoft.com help utility.

And as you said you where looking for "Help and Support in XP", so i think that the help app loads contents form the web if available.

What do you think.

xDrack

Yeh, ok thanks. But the connection was active about 30 secs after I closed it. It was not there after a reboot, ill follow the links shown, thanks alot.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Collapse:

I believe you will find that a connection in the Time_Wait state is one that has timed out but has not been properly torn down via a TCP FIN teardown.

I'm guessing that Microsoft's TCP implementation may be a little less than compliant in the way it tears down this connection.

Comments anyone...... I'm in a hurry and don't remember the details here.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Kwiep
    Hrm, my previous post was pretty worthless indeed, I based it on the info someone posted about the lookup on your ip (the wrong one), wich was obvjously pointing to your isp... I didn't check if the guy/girl who posted that was right about the ip though.

In my opinion it's like Tiger Shark said. It happens more often when a browser is closed suddenly (or crashed), the connection session stays up till it times out, depending on your systems configuration. There isn't a connection, only a session entry.
    Double Dutch

I believe you will find that a connection in the Time_Wait state is one that has timed out but has not been properly torn down via a TCP FIN teardown.

I'm guessing that Microsoft's TCP implementation may be a little less than compliant in the way it tears down this connection.
    I see this all the time on XP. I haven't noticed it all that much on 2k though.

I will still see Time_Wait state on some ports/connections minutes after killing the connection.