Thread: Dual booting problems

Unhappy Dual booting problems

Ok, since visiting here I have read alot about Linux and decided to install and learn more about it. I downloaded the iso's for Mandrake 9.0 and decided to use Partition Magic to partition my drive.So I read through the archives here and recent posts on this subject to learn the partitions sizes and what I needed to do. Heres whats happening:

Run Partition Magic, seems pretty forward. Make all the the changes, resize windows, make ext2 partition,swap file and then try to apply it. I get error #192 which states that "nessacery files for windows ME are missing, please re-install Partition Magic 6.0 to solve this problem." The error is along those lines.Well sounds simple, I re-install and remember that I have version 7.0 and that it didnt solve the problem anyway. Hmm..

Plan B: Called a friend and he informed me that I could fdisk from the Linux Cd so I went ahead and changed the settings in my BIOS to boot from CD-ROM first. It wouldn't. So now I am worried.

Do I have a virus/trojan? I run AV software and the Cleaner- its clean.
    Would reinstalling ME and trying again do anything?

I read the PDF files that come with Partition Magic, seached Google about the errors and stumped my friends. Anyone know whats going on?

I would greatly appreciate the help,

Blitz

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Hrmm..

This might help: http://www.macarlo.net/pqmagic601.htm

If you install PartitionMagic under Windows 95 or Windows 98, then
    you upgrade your operating system to Windows Me and run PartitionMagic,
    you may see error #192, "Files necessary to support Windows Me have
    not been installed." The error occurs when you perform any operation
    that requires PartitionMagic to go into boot mode. To correct the
    problem, reinstall PartitionMagic from the CD. After you have
    reinstalled PartitionMagic, you will not encounter the error again.
    At powerquest's site they indicate PQ 7 as also having this problem. The link below might have more instructions to help.

http://www.powerquest.com/support/primus/id1595.cfm
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Thanks for the help MsMittens. I visited the powerquest site before without any luck but did find something about extracting some files to hopefully correct this. Will give it a go when I get home!

Thanks

Blitz

Thanks MsMittens that did the trick as far as the partitioning is concerned . Although does anyone have any incite as to why I can not boot from my CD-ROM drive? I changed the settings in BIOS and it still wont work. Is this possibly a setting other than switching the boot sequences?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Blitz

All that you should have to change in your bios is the boot sequence. Change your boot sequence to check CDROM first, Floppy second then your OS drive. If that doesn't work, there could be some additional hardware issues that need addressed. Unfortunatly I don't know enough in that department to say how w/o actually being there.

Keep on trying, it will be well worth your time.
    The only limit a person has, is the limit they give themselves.
    Cogito ergo sum. - Descartes

I appreciate the help Shadowmeld, thats the configuration I tried but so far no good. I am going to call the place I had the computer made at and see if its a hardware problem when I get the time.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Blitz

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Are you sure the CDRom you have is, in fact, bootable?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Well I wondered that so I put in ME and tried booting that after startup and it wouldn't go either. I'm pretty sure its a hardware problem at this point and I appreciate all the help. Maybe the ribbons bad or a jumper is misplaced, I'll have to check again

Thanks again,
    Blitz