My Modem will hung up when I open 4 more websites.

Thread: My Modem will hung up when I open 4 more websites.

Banned

Angry My Modem will hung up when I open 4 more websites.

I need YOUR HELP!

I have dial-up connection at home using 33.3 kbps PCTel Modem. At first the connection is OK then suddenly my computer got hanged up when I open more than four sites, and the screen turned to blue. I always restart my computer everytime it hanged up. Is there any wrong with my modem? I need help on this, I don't know what to do.

maybe more than the modem can handle-why not just three sites???
    the only way to fix it is to flush it all away-tool

TechieChick
    Putting aside the fact that PCTel sucks..have you tried updating the drivers on the modem at all?

Also..what version of what browser are you using and on what OS? Antivirus software? Firewalls? etc etc..details..extreme details are needed here...

Thanks

how much memory and free hard disk space do you have. once a page is loaded its loaded. no more packets come in unless you refresh it or there's a script doing it automatically. in other words the modem isnt doing anything after the page loads. but 4 pages require 4 browser windows open and if you dont have sufficient memoery that could cause a BSoD (blue screen of death)

can you tell us some facts about your machine and the browser your using. if your not using the latest version with the latest patches you may have kiddies punting you.

older modems (and still some of the new ones) are vulnerable to having the modem's hang up command sent (+++ATHO) in a ping packet. when the computer replys to the ping request the modem hangs up. this can be gotten around by blocking ping requests (ICMP)with a firewall
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Originally posted here by Tedob1
    ... and if you dont have sufficient memoery that could cause a BSoD (blue screen of death)
    can you tell us some facts about your machine and the browser your using. if your not using the latest version with the latest patches you may have kiddies punting you
    Well, that's a new one on me (low RAM "causing" BSoD's) -- wonder if MS knows about that one. Personally, my machine just gets slow and often complains about "low on virtual memory" as it slows to a crawl... then again, I try not to run Winblowz unless I have to (read: found a new game I like and/or it's the easiest browser/test machine within reach).

But yeah... "extreme details" are needed... same or predictable sites? What type of machine, O/S, RAM, available HD space? Done a general hardware check on the machine recently? All the drivers current? Done a virus scan or spyware scan recently? What else is running? System patched/current? This happen "after a given time" (ie. just start happening or "has always happened"). Pretty much the more you can share, the easier it might be for some of the folks here to help.
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

what happens if your using all your ram and theirs no room for swap. i had a 386 40 running windows 98 16meg ram. if i opened up 3 programs BSoD. it went away when i increased the memory.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Originally posted here by Tedob1
    what happens if your using all your ram and theirs no room for swap. i had a 386 40 running windows 98 16meg ram. if i opened up 3 programs BSoD. it went away when i increased the memory.

BuHaHaHaHaHaHa!!!!! 386/40 with 16MBs of RAM running Win98!!!! (think that might have been a 486 though?) Well... the fact that you could even get it to run (or were "patient" (?) enough to) says a lot about you... something about "software packaging" and "minimum basic requirements" and "recommended environment" come to mind...

I remember Win95r2 with a similiar type of machine... a Compaq laptop, no less... and THAT sucked. I wouldn't even want to think about going any "further" up their so-called "product line."
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

no it 'is' a 386 i still have it in the attic. MS said it needs a 486 but it ran (almost) on the 386 with 387 math co-processor. but if its a 33.6 modem hes got its not a new machine and theirs no telling what it is without more info like you say. and minimum requirments DO come to mind

your right about slow. i could start it put on a pot of coffee and it would just about be up when i got back...ah the good old days!?!

geesh I remember win95 on my cyrix 100 mhz brrr, makes my skin crawl. Nice work getting it going Tedob1

Anyways, Xmover, this does sound like a driver problem too me, especially since you are getting a blue screen as a bonus.
    Try upgrading your drivers.
    .sig - There never was a .sig?
    I own a Schneider EuroPC with MS-Dos 3.3 and it works.

Banned
    Thanks very much, TechieChick ,draziw ,Tedob1 and the rest of the people for your advice.
    Anyway I got an idea, my modem drivers are not updated and my browser too , and I tried to download the latest version and update my browser and it works fine, thanks very much... dude! BTW, im running only Pentium 500 Mhz with 128 mb of RAM, and 20 Gb of HD, McAfee v7.0, only crack! are installed. Once again thanks for your help, your my saviour!