Installing GRUB after updating windows

Thread: Installing GRUB after updating windows

Unhappy Installing GRUB after updating windows

I just updated to a newer version of windows and it overwritten the boot sector of my hard drive. Unfortunatly this screwed up GRUB. I have a boot disk but I have no idea if the boot disk loads my old kernal image or what. If it is booting the old kernal image, how do I set up the floppy to boot the new kernal. I prefer to set up grub again but if I have to stick with the floppy disk, then so be it. If someone can please help me out, it would be great. I created the boot disk during initial installation and I'm using Redhat linux 8.0.
    Only stupid choices remind you of what the smart choices are.

Why don't you just re-install linux (I'm assuming linux) You need to elaborate a little more on your problem, there's no such thing as too much information.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Antionline Herpetologist
    You don't have to reinstall Linux. Just boot from a boot floppy if you have one. Otherwise, boot off the Linux CD and type root=/dev/hdax (where hdax is your Linux partition) and boot it. Then, log in as root and type /sbin/grub . That'll do it.

Note: I don't remember whether it's /sbin/grub or /bin/grub . So if /sbin/grub doesn't work, try /bin/grub.
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog:

The command to reinstall grub is grub-install, that is /sbin/grub-install.
    Boot from your rescue floppy and issue that command.

You may need to edit /etc/grub.conf if you have made any OS changes, but if you
    just reinstalled the same windows version on the same drive as before, probably not.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.