networking without Netbios..

Thread: networking without Netbios..

networking without Netbios..

I'm networking 2 win2k pro computers on a 4 port router. They cannot see each other unless I have "enable netbios over tcp/ip" checked on both computers. Is there not a way to just use tcp/ip and disable netbios and still be able to share files?

I have messed with many settings and am not sure where to turn now, thanks

Yes. However the 2 computers will not show up in the "computers near me" or "microsoft windows network->workgroup". You'll have to refer to them by hostname or Ip address (ie: "\\hostname\" or "\\ipaddress\")

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

thanks...I've try that when I get home.

Hmmm, I may be wrong but no Netbios = No sharing. If you wanna disable Netbios and still share, you need to enable NetbEUI. If you had a seperate firewall set up, you could block port 139, and the internal workstations could still share to each other.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    meloncholy is right. netbios is the program that allows file sharing on the two computers. If you want to share files without using netbios, you can do it 2 ways. 1> set up ftp servers on both the machines and grant access to whatever files you want access to. 2> set up web servers on both machines and create links for the files you want access to. You could also do things like set up telnet/ssh servers so you have access to the machine, but that isn't for moving files from one box to the other (although ssh has the ability with scp), it is for running programs on the remote machine.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Sorry but you two guys are wrong:
    Win2K and later (ie: XP) support SMB over TCP. SMB is Server Message Block, which is the actual application layer protocol that does the data transfer & all. SMB over TCP uses TCP port 445.

In the past, SMB was transported over NetBIOS, which did session and transport layers. NetBIOS was then transported over TCP on ports 137-139.

NetBEUI, which is NetBios Extended User Interface, was a network/transport layer that only carried NetBIOS, which carries SMB.

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

ammo... I was 'sort of' aware that 2K and XP could support SMB over TCP (didn't know it used port 445 tho'.. thanks!)... any idea if Linux can also support SMB over TCP in this way???

sorry to hijack the thread by the way phite

Ta

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

No sweat, its all learning to me