Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Evil Administrator

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    LOL owls, you never learn do you? You still have not even understood what AO is about. You have absolutely no idea what an admin is all about or what his job is. But please, tell me one thing. What do you know about? I will not even to go into detail quoting your statements and giving out answers, heck, even this reply here is a waste of bandwidth. I rest my case.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

I sold systems to a few schools and i always insist that i install a reborn card, its a genious solution.. it grants FULL access to the local mashine, ofcourse the network server / public shares should be configured correct but with the reborn card, students can change the background pict, install all the programs they want, even delete important system files..

Just reboot the system and its back to normal.
    Gotta love reborn cards.. mmmm
    More information @ http://www.lenten.com
    Missing em ol BBS' days!
    Virtus - Splashgame.org

Originally posted here by owls
    blah blah...
    FIRST OF ALL I DONT KNOW WHICH OS VERSION YOUR LAME ADM IS USING. LETS GUESS MAY BE HE IS USING THAT OLD WIN 98 CUZ LOT OF SCOOLS CAN'T AFFORD XP BECAUSE OF MASSIVE BUDGET CUTZ IN THE SCHOOLZ. OR I WOULD GUESS HE IS USING NT , 2000 DOES NOT MATTER WHAT EVER HE IS USING. LET ME GO BACK A LITTLE BECAUSE i DON'T EVEN KNOW THAT IF YU HAVE ANY PROGRAMMING EXPERIENCE OR NOT MAY BE NOT. IT IS OKEY IF YOU DON'T THEN YOU HAVE TO BE DOWNLOAD SOME TOOLZ ON YOUR CDROM BECAUSE MOST OF THESE COMPUTERS COMES WITH CDROM BOOTABLE SYSTEM OR IF YOU COULD CHANGE IT FROM A DRIVE THAT WOULD BE NICE TOO. OK NOW OCME TO THE POINT FIRST OF ALL YOU HAVE TO ENTER TO SYSTEM BIOS AND CHANGE IT TO BOOT FROM A.
    YOU WILL ALSO NEED A WINDOWS BOOT DISK WHAT EVA THE VERSION YOUR SYS ADM IS RUNNIG AND THEN SINCE I AM ASSUMING THAT YOU DONT HAVE ANY PROGRAMMING EXPERIENCE DOWNLOAD EDITDOTCOM NOW APPLY LITTLE MIND HERE ON THIS NAME I JUST MENTIONED YOU HAVE TO SEARCH IT AND YOU CAN SEARCH IT ANY WAYRE OVA THE INTERNE. WHEN YOU FIND IT DOWNLOAD IT ON YUR FLOPPY DISK AND PUT THAT FLOPPY BACK IN COMPUTER'S A DRIVE AND THEN REBOOT IT SO NOW REMEMBER YOU ALREADY CHANGED THE CONFIGURATIONS OF BIOS BY PRESSING F2 OR EDIT KEY WHILE YOUR COMPUTER RESTART. NOW IT SHOULD START FROM A DRIVE ,,,,,,, NOW LAUGH HEHEHEHE. YOUR COMPUTER IS GOING TO TAKE ABOUT A MINUTE TO COME TO A POINT WHERE YOU CAN OPEN UP THE FILE YOU DOWNLOADED FROM WEB WHICH IS EDITDOTCOM.
    In Edit.com, go to open, then search in C:\Windows and find WIN.INI.
    Open it.
    Scroll down through the WIN.INI file and find a section that starts
    off:
    [Foolproof]. Delete that entire section. This is the code that makes
    Foolproof open
    every time you boot windows. By deleting it, you are preventing
    Foolproof from opening.
    MAKE SURE TO SAVE THE WIN.INI FILE BEFORE EXITING!

From here you are free to do whatever you want in Windows. I
    suggest going into C:
    and locating Unfool.exe. It is Foolproof's uninstall program.
    ...blah blah
    Ha!, You're funny.
    Let me tell you why this wouldn't work on any box even an half-assed admin set up:
    1- Boot only from HD
    2- Password BIOS
    3- Using NTFS on NT, 2K, XP will prevent the "hack" as is. At minimum it would require some more work.

You see, any admin not preventing from booting from floppy or cd is just running asking for people like you to screw things up. But this is such BASIC precautions, I anyone not restricting this doesn't even deserve to be called an admin. Now, when we do do our job right, by configuring like this, kiddies like you say we're "evil" and "megalomaniac". Oh well, you're still not messing up my desktops.

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

for what the hell you want to change wallpapers

The thing is though, half the admins in the schools around my area don't know the basic stuff like that. Hell the district admin to the HS I went to failed 30% of his networking classes, and I don't think actually ever graduated. He got the job because he "knew people" that got him in. He took a perfectly working network structure and screwed it all up. So I can understand how there might be a lot of computers out there with no BIOS passwords, which is all you need to hackin.
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

The admins at my school are either are really lazy or are complete idiots. The teachers complain about people swapping files, and yet the admins still dont' know how to fix it. All they have to do is disable file sharing, but they don't. The admins disable pointless stuff like, clock, cmd, mspaint, control panel,run, regedit.... But yet, command.com is still usable, along with regedt32 and taskmanager(lets you run apps). It makes me sick that me being only 17 know more then the admins that actually have a fairly high paying job. *PUTS FLAME SUIT ON* So what better way to make these guys learn? Force them to! From computer management i can make an account and add it under the power user group. I can also still edit the registry, obtain sam in the unrestricted repair dir, dump the hashs, etc. So by changing there password I forced them to figure out what I did, and so they finally fixed some of the HUGE vulnerabilities.

You guys may think I"m lame. But I think some admins dont' know enough what there doing to run a secure computer lab. So sometimes they may need a little help.

And yes I could tell them the vulnerabilities, but they see that I"m just a kid, and wont listen.

Fusion

There are a lot of good answers (though some souind more like a complaint back @ Robo). I agree that one should leave others' stuff alone. I do. I am here to learn to ruin. It's reasons like that of Robo wanting to "change things" that gives security people a bad name (as it is pointed out that most security-type comp users were at one time a hacker).
    It\'s better the devil you know, than the devil
    me
    you don\'t.- uhme\'s wifey
    [shadow]Onward Jeeves[/shadow] [blur]Onward Jeeves[/blur]

I can understand that...
    Indeed I'd be pissed too in that situation.

My main argument is about kids who say admins are evil when they do their job right, or those who say *ALL* school admins suck and claim they can "hack" *any* school computer. Granted a good deal of them (school admins) do suck. That's the unfortunate thing. But good admins require good salaries, and most schools don't recognize that or simply can't afford them... BUT there are some of us who do our job right.

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

I have to append a statement I made (I didn't proofread) I mentioned..."i came to learn to ruin.." it should have said ..."I came here to learn, not to ruin..."
    It\'s better the devil you know, than the devil
    me
    you don\'t.- uhme\'s wifey
    [shadow]Onward Jeeves[/shadow] [blur]Onward Jeeves[/blur]

Well lots of people made great points. But one thing I am a kid and i understand admins. I do not like my admin, we all don't like them because they have to set rules. Admins are just doing what they have to, i don't mine because he sets rules that are kinda stupid, were not even aloud to talk at lunch. Admins try to get the kids to like them, but the bad part is if they get in trouble they go to him, he has to get us in trouble because that are the rules. I do not think they are evil, but we all have to abide by rules and we will throghout our whole life. So i do not blame my admin because he's doing his job. If anyone put yourself in his shoes, would you like to get your friends in trouble. I know this because I see him a lot in his office (bad thing) lol. So yes sometimes there rules are kinda dumb, but we just have to live with it.

kilerboots
    [glowpurple]NooNoo\'s [/glowpurple]