Thread: US: Net Guard Act

US: Net Guard Act

Two links.

Science and Technology Emergency Mobilization Act

The Bill and The call for help

Essentially, US is calling for a 'homeland' net security team. Fine techs that will help defend and rebuild technologies in America.

and an article from TechRepublic:
    (printed... I think its a member column...)

NET Guard will need volunteers with IT skills
    Mar 17, 2003 | Scott Lowe MCSE

Regrettably, fear and uncertainty have become a part of everyday life for some Americans. The tragic events that took place on Sept. 11, 2001, have created an uneasiness that will take a long time to abate, if it ever does. In many cases, there is simply nothing people can do to help, no matter how much they may want to. But with the passage of the NET Guard Act, IT professionals may be able to play a role in reducing the impact of future disasters or helping in emergencies where people’s lives are at risk. The details haven’t yet been worked out, but here’s what we know about the development of the National Emergency Technology (NET) Guard.

Why I care about NET Guard
    When I first heard about the terrorist attacks on New York City and the Pentagon, I was driving down I-270 toward Rockville, MD, on my way to my final few days as a systems engineer for a financial services company. Living only a few miles from one of the disaster sites, I was struck that this type of attack could happen in my backyard, and I wanted to do something to help.

My background and skills lie mostly in the IT arena—primarily systems and network engineering—and I knew that I could be of use somewhere along the line. I got on the phone when I reached the office and started to call charitable organizations such as the Red Cross to find out what I could do to help.

But even though many of these charitable groups and many companies affected by the attacks needed IT help, there was little coordination with regard to IT infrastructure needed to assist with the rescue and rebuilding efforts immediately following the disaster. I found that I was not alone. Many IT professionals saw a need to help but couldn't because of a lack of coordination in these activities.

NET Guard’s roots
    Two senators are hoping to correct this lack of coordination. Senator Ron Wyden (D-Oregon), who chairs the Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation Subcommittee (on Science, Technology, and Space) and Senator George Allen (R-Virginia) worked hard during the last session of Congress to form NET Guard, an IT National Guard. The NET Guard legislation is discussed in section 3 of the Science and Technology Emergency Mobilization Act, which was passed as a part the bill creating the Department of Homeland Security in December 2002.

The NET Guard act calls for the formation of a database of nongovernmental technology and science experts who can be mobilized to help combat terrorism or in the event of an emergency when communications are most critical. Although participation in the NET Guard is slated to be on a volunteer basis, under certain circumstances, volunteers may be paid as employees as well as reimbursed for expenses.

According to a representative from Senator Allen’s office, the Undersecretary for Information Assurance and Infrastructure in the Department of Homeland Security will oversee the NET Guard. As of this writing, no appointment has yet been made for this position, so concrete plans and coordination for the NET Guard have not yet truly begun.

Planning and preparations
    After a leader is appointed, expect at least a few months of planning to take place before a call for volunteers is made. Necessary preparations include:

* Creating procedures for how volunteers will be organized.
    * Determining how volunteers will be encouraged to participate.
    * Establishing certification criteria for training and types of expertise needed.

For fiscal years 2003 and 2004, the NET Guard has been appropriated $5 million per year. Due to the massive effort required to bring together the agencies that will ultimately make up the Department of Homeland Security, it will be some time before much is heard about volunteering for NET Guard. And although it is great to be able to be of service if something does happen, I hope that there is never another reason to call on a group such as the NET Guard.
    I'm curious as to what everyone thinks... will it work? Would you sign up?
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    I'd be very happy to help...... After all, I'm way too old to be jumping outta aircraft any more.... Fun while it lasted but jeez..... I have a beergut the size of Canada nowadays...... But I can still sit in front of a keyboard all day.......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

I would be more then happy to sign up for that! Never jumped outta airplanes, but I do have that good butt groove worn down on my computer chair!
    Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, "She doesn't have what it takes"; They will say, "Women don't have what it takes".
    Clare Boothe Luce

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Yep....sorry to say... My chair has one of those too.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Interesting concept....
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

Originally posted here by AciDriveHB
    Interesting concept....
    Which one? The NET guard or the butt groove?

Wow... I'll give Kudos to the American Government on that one.. I think it's a great idea...

It's definately something I'd want to be involved in. The only thing they have to be careful of is the criteria they set, because I bet they'll get a fair number of wanna-be-hackers and crackers who volunteer.