Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: trouble

its win me...thats ur problem

my OS is win ME
    1. Make a bootdisk

2. Slap it in the A: Drive

3. Reboot (remap the boot squence in the BIOS if necessary)

4. once there delete the files in the following directories (assuming your ME drive is C Also, you might need to attrib the files to delete them:

C:\_RESTORE\TEMP\*.*
    C:\_RESTORE\ARCHIVE\*.*

Be sure not to delete anything else

Be patient!It will take a while. Once all the files are gone, rescan for virii.

Hope this helps.

oh yeah...
    its win me...thats ur problem
    WinME is not popular, but this comment does not help his/her situation.

Jack

The earlier advice form phishphreek80 is still spot on with WinMe..

It is common for virii to find its way into the system restore information..
    Most AV companies recommend disabling System restore when removing many virii..

the restore folder is a "system hidden" folder.. And you will need to "attrib" the folder as well as the files in the folder to get going
    The methode that I use for virus removals with Me and XP.
    1/ Disabling System restore
    2/ Restart the system in safe mode
    3/ Run custom removal tool and run virus scann, to look for stragglers (not sure if McAfee works in safe mode..should)
    4/ restart system
    5/ Rescann system
    6/ re-enable System Restore..

and it should be off you go.. no worries untill next time..

Hmm not your machine.. Best teach the user about safe practice regarding virii..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

disable restore

Awhile ago I had the same problem---- I had to go to disable restore and reboot, which flushes out the the restoreold files. then i ran the program to get rid of the worm and then enable system restore and reboot----In my case it was the klez and symantec will give you step by step directions that are really simple if you look under removing the klez virus(whether or not you have the klez it tells you how to flush system restore)

How did the post above me get there!!!!! I wrote this two hours later!!!! Sorry for the duplicate info
    the only way to fix it is to flush it all away-tool

well according to first Question about deleting the infected files, ur antivirus must have a quaratine feature which quaratine the virus files, you can go into the quaratine option of your antivirus then delete the files from there, you can't delete them through windows as deleting may spread the virus, so your antivirus is not allowing you to delete the files

regards

zia
    zia

not yet

well i could delete de ARCHIVE folder but i could not delete the temp folder (maybe too many files)
    the virus is a W32/Browney.a.worm and it is in the TEMP folder...

thanx again for your help

Hey! Freejack

Try booting into MS-DOS mode. Then look in the directory where you want to delete the infected file. Then just simply select the file you want to delete. And if the file is access denied and cannot be deleted, then try to backup your important files and format your system into new one. May be this is best solution.

Hey Freejack..
    Instaed of creating extra threads about this problem..
    How about taking some of the advice on this thread? What of the advice have you tried?
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

at last

well i tried all of the advices and i mixed them all to come up with the solution.
    i deleted the ARCHIVE directory in DOS mode and i disabled restoring so i coudl delete the TEMP dir....but i suspect the worm is still over there

i want to infinitely thank to all people who helped me in this mess
    really...
    thanx

You say you stillsuspect the virus is still there why do you say that?

Cheers

Note : Deleted Comments due to my error in reading freejack's reply.. sry