Thread: Filesharing Problem over Network

Post Filesharing Problem over Network

I have computer in my officework and its connected to the Internet, and my friends in the office wanted to copy one of my files. So what I did in order to have an easy copy I have to share my files over the network, of course I added a password so that no body can access it except me. But in a few hours, of sharing my files, somebody from other network ( outsiders...) copied my files. (Ive watch that using Netwatcher) And I wonder how he got acccessed my shared files in fact it is password protected. Did somebody hacked my files? Is there such a way to prevent this from accessing even I shared my files over network and password protected? I need help on this. I there any patch available on this filesharing problem? by the way Im just using Windows98SE in my office.

how big is the file?

if its a smaller file, y dont you email it?

When you say you password protected it. What exactly are you describing? In Win98 you can give Read Access or Write Access. Explain the steps you did.....Also keep in mind Win98 is not a true file server and there are several vulnerabilities with 98, as well as NT....

d0ppelg@nger,

I've shared my files with readonly password protect. So, far now I disabled my filesharing due to outsider acccessing my files.

Antionline Herpetologist
    Probably by using one of the many NetBIOS vulnerabilities out there. Win98SE is pretty old and well, it has a **** load of vulnerabilities, especially with file-sharing enabled. If you do want to share files, I'd recommend an up to date install of 2K or XP.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

I'm a security newbie and so I could be wrong but I'm told that unless your folder or drive's share name starts with a dollar sign that it's very easy for someone to gain access to your drive or folder.
    - Runner -

unless your folder or drive's share name starts with a dollar sign that it's very easy for someone to gain access to your drive or folder.
    That should be ended with a $ sign, I think*... as in

\\server\normalshare
    \\server\hiddenshare$

That doesn't make it very easy to gain access.. just easy to find.

Not patching your system and having incorrect permissions set on your shares make it easy for someone to access... along with other obvious things... like, unique usernames and strong passwords and etc.

IMO- If you aren't on a private lan with decent security.. you shouldn't be sharing files or printers period. Even then, it is questionable. There are way better options. I'll give up a bit of convience for more security.

You'd be surprised how many people share drives without ANY protection at all. Simple as...

net use g: \\server\share

no security what so ever... it still amazes me.

There are programs out there that you can just type in an ip and it'll give you the usernames, shares and system info... after that, its just a matter of cracking the password. There are programs that will do all of the above as the result of typing in an ip address and clicking the mouse button.

Re: Filesharing Problem over Network

Originally posted here by xmover
    I have computer in my officework and its connected to the Internet, and my friends in the office wanted to copy one of my files. So what I did in order to have an easy copy I have to share my files over the network, of course I added a password so that no body can access it except me. But in a few hours, of sharing my files, somebody from other network ( outsiders...) copied my files. (Ive watch that using Netwatcher) And I wonder how he got acccessed my shared files in fact it is password protected. Did somebody hacked my files? Is there such a way to prevent this from accessing even I shared my files over network and password protected? I need help on this. I there any patch available on this filesharing problem? by the way Im just using Windows98SE in my office.

As stated, it's not that hard to get around protection in Win98 - if you insist or are limited to a MS based environment in your office, you may want to consider installing at a minimum Windows 2000 Professional or go up to the latest with Windows XP. These operating systems are more secure as compared to Win98, so you'd have a little more assurance that your files were protected via the sharing method you are describing.

Are you saying that someone from the Internet gained access to your files, not someone from your own network? I'm assuming that you are not the admin for that network - if not, you may want to sit down with the admin and discuss perimeter protection for your network i.e. firewalls, intrusion detection systems, etc. and desktop solutions such as antivirus. If you are running a network and outsiders gained access to your machine, your entire network is at risk to attack because of a misconfigured system, firewall, lack of firewall, exploit or etc. that allowed the outsiders access to your system. The issue needs to be resolved as soon as possible..

Originally posted here by phishphreek80

That should be ended with a $ sign, I think*... as in

\\server\normalshare
    \\server\hiddenshare$

You're correct. I should have said "ends with" and not "starts with".
    - Runner -