Wireless LAN Help!!!

Thread: Wireless LAN Help!!!

Question Wireless LAN Help!!!

I really need help I am doing this work base learning for this guy and he gave me the specs and i never did this before so i need help bad.

here is what he gave me

first place: BGC Main office

5 pc's and 1 laptop all must be connected in
    one of the computers is a mac
    pc's have diff. os's

description of what needs done:
    computers need to be networked to tralk to eacch other; a wireless internet conn. will be brought in to connect to the internet

1 8-port ethernet hub
    1 router

2 location;
    main office:
    5 more pc's and another laptop
    wireless connection brought in

1 hub
    8 port ethernet
    router capability or seperate (wireless conn. to router ; router to hub

third place: youth center
    8 pc's plus laptop
    wireless conn. brought in
    8 or 16 port
    router capability or seperate (wireless conn. to router ; router to hub
    all comp. are windows based

this is all he gave me so if some one would be kind as to give me a little layout i would be most appreciated thank you
    \"If you befriend a person but lack the mercy to correct him, then you are in fact his enemy!!!!\"

First off, is the equipment you already have or this is the specs he gave you of what he thinks he would need?

When you say wireless connection, what exactly are you taking about? Wireless as in 802.11x or are you talking about broadband wireless, such as AT&T, Verizon, etc....?

Also in the BGC office, there being different OS's is not a factor. Also in what way do you mean the computers need to talk to each other? File sharing or gaming?

Another point also to take into consideration on th BGC office. If you are going to be sharing files, then I would not let each computer put their own files on their computer, especially if they need to be worked on by multiple users. You need a file server. Cheapest way to do this is to use Linux and install Samba, unless you already have a Win 2000 or NT server system. You can use NT Workstation if need be.

Also, are these offices going to be connected together? Do they need to be connected together?

i am sorry bout that i had to post quick
    everything posted is what i have and i might need more.
    the system is based on a wireless TCP/IP protocol referred to as 802.11b
    as far as the computers file sharing and networking i have that under control
    the guy told me they have a server and it is running win 2000
    also a Cheap 10Base/ 100BaseT Ethernet network
    the offices need to be connected together they are all like three blocks of each other
    the guy just told me that he don't even know what he wants so if you wanna throw some extras in it its kool thanks alot
    \"If you befriend a person but lack the mercy to correct him, then you are in fact his enemy!!!!\"

I don't know the distances for your problem, bldg. to bldg., but you are more than likely going to have to use yagi or directional antennas in order to get the signals from bldg. to bldg. You will also need to have line of sight for the best situation. Are you able to mount antennas on top of each of these bldgs? 802.11x can go great distances with directional antennas. With that being said. You would really only need one router if all three bldg's are going to be connected via wireless, 802.11b. This one router could then connect your network to the internet connection.
    I'd stick to building one class C network and putting all computers on the same network segment, ie...172.16.0.x, 10.0.0.x, etc....for simplistic sake.....

i will use a class C addy
    the antenna is a 60 meg
    all 3 bldgs are about 250-300 ft. of each other
    the 3 are hard wired to the one antenna
    from the antenna to the other is about 1 mile maybea little over
    bloomfield garfield corp. (bgc main bldg.)
    the youth center
    the other main bldg. now i don't know if this bldg and the bgc are the same bldg with 2 parts of 2 diff. bldgs
    they $$$ is 400,000 to work with
    i would also like to use a mesh topology
    i don't know if the bottom info will help you considering i only have to do the 3 places

The Wireless Neighborhoods Project creates a network -- a Wide Area Network (WAN) -- at a level between the Internet and the office LAN. The network ties together the LANs of Pittsburgh-based organizations with wireless links stemming from the WQED Tower, providing the physical infrastructure to correspond with and promote greater collaborations of human beings in the Pittsburgh area.

The Wireless Neighborhoods Project allows people to communicate and collaborate using the high-bandwidth telecommunications links of the wireless WAN without having to pass through the congestion and lower data rates of the Internet. The physical network makes it possible to easily exchange large data files, to share files on a common server and to do streaming video and video-conferencing. Indeed, the collaborative process of developing the physical network has itself spawned a network of human relationships that is resulting in joint projects on literacy, health care and other community issues that will use the physical network.

The WAN also allows the participants to share resources. By joining in a bulk purchase Internet connection, for example, the participants can gain access to a higher bandwidth Internet connection than any of them could afford individually. A bulk purchase of technical assistance is also possible.

The Wireless Neighborhoods Network
    The hub of the Wireless Neighborhoods Project is the WQED television tower in Oakland -- on the hill behind the University of Pittsburgh and adjacent to the Veterans' Administration hospital. The WQED Tower hub, installed and owned by Information Renaissance, will connect community groups that have lines of sight to the WQED Tower. Sites are connected with the installation of antennas on the roof or other prominent point of the end user's building. The first five connections are to the Bloomfield Garfield Corporation, the Eastside Neighborhood Employment Center, FamilyLinks, the Kingsley Association and the Pittsburgh Glass Center. Many more organizations are being sought.

The project includes a high-bandwidth wireless connection from the WQED Tower to the Pittsburgh Public School District's data center on the South Side. This interconnection links the wireless community network with the school district network that connects all of the district's schools. The value of such an interconnection is enormous. It enables any community group in the community network to communicate with any school over a high-bandwidth network that avoids the congestion and cost of the Internet. The interconnection makes possible a whole new range of partnerships and joint programming.

The WQED Tower hub also links to the Smart Building Project in the Regional Enterprise Tower (RET) to obtain the project's upstream Internet connection and to link to the RET tenants. The Smart Building Project consists of a building-wide network in the former Alcoa Building that ties together the building's non-profit and economic development tenants, connects several groups with wireless connections to the roof of the RET and uses a shared high-bandwidth connection to the Internet. The link between the WQED Tower and the Smart Building ties together users in both networks and allows the combined network to share an upstream Internet connection -- minimizing per-user costs for everyone.

The WQED Tower hub will also, in the near future, link to a series of strategically located neighborhood hubs that will connect groups that don't have direct lines of sight to the WQED Tower. One such hub is proposed for the East Liberty neighborhood. The East Liberty hub will connect to the WQED Tower with a wireless link and extend that connection with additional wireless equipment to groups that have direct lines of sight to its East Liberty location.

The East Liberty hub is expected to be the core of an East Liberty Neighborhood Network being developed by the East Liberty Development, Inc. (ELDI). This neighborhood network is expected to include as its core three office buildings (the Highland, Bell Atlantic and Liberty Buildings) in the center of East Liberty that ELDI and the Urban Redevelopment Authority are renovating to provide a nucleus of business activity. The core, then, will be extended to non-profits and for-profit businesses in the neighborhood through wireless technology.

Services and Prices
    The core service of the WQED Tower Project is high-bandwidth access to the Internet and high-bandwidth access to organizations within the high-bandwidth WAN. The Internet connection is currently a shared 10 Megabits (Mbps) connection obtained through the Smart Building project.[1] This compares to the 1.5 Mbps of a T1 connection, the 128 kilobits per second (Kbps) to 1.5 Mbps data rates of a DSL connection and the 56 kbps rate of a dialup connection. The size of the Internet connection can also be scaled up as demand requires. The WAN will include a combination of 60 Mbps links from the WQED Tower and 10 Mbps links from neighborhood hubs. Other services, such as email, Web hosting, LAN maintenance and consulting will also be available for interested users.

Prices are set with two goals in mind -- affordability to small users and sustainability. The project uses public and foundation funds to finance the initial infrastructure costs for the network and, where possible, the installation costs of equipment at end user locations.

The project relies on user fees to finance recurring costs. It uses bulk purchases to minimize total recurring costs, and it uses cost-based pricing, shared services and a large customer base to reduce average costs (i.e., prices) to levels affordable by small organizations.

The purpose of the Wireless Neighborhoods project is to empower communities -- to provide access to information technology resources to enable communities to become competitive in education, human development, workforce development, health care and economic opportunity. Many communities, especially those in low-income urban areas, lack the resources required to succeed in these activities, especially in the new era of information technology. Wireless Neighborhoods provides the resources to develop necessary human skills and network infrastructure to help community groups enhance their programs and work collaboratively with schools and other community groups.

1. Programming and Community Group Collaborations
    Technology developers often present flashy displays of what their technologies can do, but skeptics ask whether the technologies will actually be useful for things people need. People often complain that organizations buy expensive computers, video-conferencing equipment and other technology but they fail to use them productively.

The organizers of the Wireless Neighborhoods Cooperative want to integrate the Internet and WAN technologies deeply into their community groups' programs -- to help kids read and write better and to help their communities retain and attract businesses. The Wireless Neighborhoods groups are using the Internet and the WAN in exciting new educational programs, such as the digital community newsletter and shared software initiatives. They're also integrating the technologies into economic development programs, such as efforts to incorporate modern telecommunications infrastructure and access to high-bandwidth network services into office building renovation projects. These human programs will be supported by the physical network

but i only have to do the 3 places: