HP & Redhat sittin' in a tree

Thread: HP & Redhat sittin' in a tree

HP & Redhat sittin' in a tree

Just got back from school & saw this:

"Hewlett-Packard inks a deal to become a services partner for Red Hat's full line of Enterprise Linux operating systems."

http://www.informationweek.com/story/IWK20030319S0003

So I wonder what new issues this will bring up for security? Also operability. I have worked on HP systems for some time now and the Linux 'word' was considered a cuss in regards to HPUX. This news does make sense however, as HP at this time will not be releasing a HPUX 12, but updates to 11.11.

The new HP servers are wicked fast. I wonder how Linux will run on them.
    \"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?\"
    -Juvenal

I'm running Red Hat 7.3 and Slackware 8.1 on some new (Generation 3) Dual Xeon ML370's and they just SCREAM!

I love them.

bout time someone said screw microsoft and did something with someone else.
    THEprophetMOSES

I think linux on Hp would be awsome i have used Hp (L9000 server hpux-11)and have discovered evan though it is Unix it is very Hp orientated and some programs email etc are next to to impossible to get working.I find linux easier to use also a lot more flexible.
    Redhat On Hp ABOUT TIME!!!

Update - this is from HP's site:

http://h10018.www1.hp.com/wwsolution...bout_linux_hp/

So, this could be promising. Emphasis on could be. I worked with the V-Class servers and they were huge, but also have major IO limitations when crunching data. I am hoping the Itaniums will work well with Linux, but also be as cheap as the MS solutions.
    -Juvenal

honestly in my opinion id stick with HPUX or a BSD, just my opinion though.

how to use it
    i like liunx redhat 8.0

Maybe this is just a move to make RH stand out among others. This seems to be one of two things going for Rh atm. Not to mention RH 9 coming out really soon.

Possibly, I am digging now to find out more about this. A couple of months ago, we had RH make the pitch to our IT tech and management leadership. Not sure what the deal was, but he was pretty arrogant and slamed one of the more powerful people in the room. The rest of the pitch did not fall on open ears after that. So maybe now we can get Linux back me'ah. Again - I will be curious as to how it will actually fit in with the existing PS-RISC technology - if at all, or if the main reliance will be on the Itaniums and and HP/Compaq Intel server solutions.

I am also now wondering again about possible security issues with Linux and HP. I am wondering the the vxfs will work right and if nfs is there... hmmm.

Anyway I will dig and dish it out.
    -Juvenal