Thread: My Own Text Encryption Program

Cool My Own Text Encryption Program

After reading the thread Encryption Assortment Kit, I've decided that I should bring up my own encryption program that I have written. Infact, it was written quite a LONG time ago, nearly a year ago. I've decided to bring it back up, so that more people can see it, and learn at least something about encryption.

To learn more, just edit the algorithms I used to encrypt. I just put together my own, and you should be able to modify it if you have enough JavaScript knowledge. I haven't touched this program since I posted it nearly a year ago, but I can still offer my support if you need help understanding what it does.

Notes:
    Do NOT rely on this program as some sort of uncrackable encryption program. Personally, I have not been successful in brute-forcing the output of this program, but I have never taken the time to do so in a determined way.

This program (HTML) uses Active-X in the saving routines. (You will get a security warning - just click Yes/OK) You will need Windows OS, and Microsoft Internet Explorer if you plan on saving or loading encrypted files created with this program. You can still encrypt and decrypt on other operating systems and browsers, but you will probably not be able to save and load encrypted files.

Also, only use this for Plain Text. Do not try to encrypt binary files with this program, as the results are unpredictable. Also, the page may display incorrectly if you continually decrypt files with the incorrect password.

-Tim_axe

I posted it nearly a year ago in this thread...

Get It Here:
    axeencryption.zip

Just looking at your code, not a bad encryption scheme but doesn't look that complicated so probably not that hard to brute force, I wouldn't know though, not something I do. One thing I did notice though is that your reverse code is backwards, you reverse your input after it's been turned into cyphertext but then you decrypt the reversed code with your password still the other way and then reverse the output text. The reverse in the decrypt should be done before the cyphertext is turned back to plaintext because as it is now, you'll never decrypt it properly with the reverse box checked unless you type your password in backwards when you go to decrypt it. And the box telling you how strong the encryption is, yes it is technically 8-bit's/character in the password but since you're using the password characters directly and not as a sequence of bits as they do in an advanced encryption scheme, it's actually much less than 8-bit's/character, especially since most people will not use all 256 possible ASCII characters as their password.
    Reality is the one who has it wrong, not you

Talking Problem Solved

Well, I guess that it had been sitting on the AO Server for a year with a big bug right there. Well, it is now fixed. Thanks to Pecosian for finding out that there was a problem - otherwise I would have never known...

Also, it is true that the algorithm isn't very complex (or proven) - I made it myself. Thats a reason why I wouldn't recommend using this program to hide very sensitive info. You could possibly change out the algorithm for your own, and learn a little bit of encryption through that. I'll also point this out - the main reason that I couldn't write a program to brute-force or find another way to crack this was because I save the encrypted files as Uni-Code... I don't know how to read that correctly in C, so I was never able to really begin working on it...

(BTW, if you can crack the current algorithm, I would like to see how you did it.)

-Tim_axe