Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Test where you stand on the political spectrum

Test where you stand on the political spectrum

http://www.politicalcompass.org/

Hey guys, I just took a quick little test that gives you a good idea of where you fall on the political spectrum. you can take it at the above site. It doesn’t use a traditional left to right spectrum to rate you. Instead it uses a two dimensional grid that better depicts the both economic and social differences. The site does say that many people take the test twice because many don’t like the first scores they get, and often go back and give some of the questions a little more thought. I have to say I was a little surprised by my own results, but it seems pretty accurate. Though the site is geared toward Europe, it works just as well in the U.S. It would be great if we could somehow force all of our elected officials to take and honestly answer a test like this and publish the results before they were put on the ballot.

I find this kind of stuff interesting in part because of all the recent political debate here in the U.S. over war, the economy, and many other issues. In talking with some of my friends, I noticed several inconsistencies in some of the things that a couple of them said regarding their own political beliefs and their opinions about the current state of our nation and the world. It occurred to me that what they were saying indicated that they support the general policies of one party, yet they were both adamant in the fact that they are staunch supporters of the opposing political party.

This got me wondering… How many people out there really know where they stand politically? Do they base their political opinions on the political stance of their families? Is it peer pressure from the community? Friends? Maybe it is a combination of all of the above. I don’t know for sure, but I do know that todays generation is confused and put off by politics. This confusion and discontent leads to many people not voting or instead voting as if they are placing a bet on a horse race or judging a popularity contest. To be honest, I’m not sure which is worse.

In any case, I don’t mean for this to turn into a heated political debate or anything like that. I just think it’s important that everyone have good idea of where we stand on issues that affect us now and issues that will continue to affect us and our country for generations to come.
    \"If you befriend a person but lack the mercy to correct him, then you are in fact his enemy!!!!\"

Banned
    I'm a moderate leftist libertarian.

Economic Left/Right: -5.25
    Authoritarian/Libertarian: -4.10

To situate that: I'm not as left as Gandhi, and I'm more a libertarian than Gandhi was. Sounds pretty good to me.

Hope you don't mind I moved this to Cosmos.

Fantastic! Thanks for the link.

I always thought I aligned with Ken Livinstone, and I'm right on top of him acording to my scores.

This will definately be getting passed round the office
    [glowpurple]$ _[/glowpurple]

your welcome for the link and no i don't mind that you moved it. i need to be a little more aware of where i put posts. thank you and have a good day
    \"If you befriend a person but lack the mercy to correct him, then you are in fact his enemy!!!!\"

Wonderful link...

Economic Left/Right: -4.38
    Authoritarian/Libertarian: -3.64

I align very closely with ghandi.. i'm just less communist (left wing) than he was..

cool link im a radical -6.2 -6.4

LOL time for a change

+5.3
    +3.2

Thanks for the link
    =

Economic Left/Right: -5.50
    Authoritarian/Libertarian: -2.82

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! I loved how general the questions were until it asks about the Jews responsibility to their torture. How utterly hilarious.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Economic Left/Right: -2.50
    Authoritarian/Libertarian: -5.44

I'd like to know how they developed this scale. I think that it has some merit, but as all of these online test it has the feeling of being contrived. However, looking at the reading list and seeing Thomas Paine, Noam Chomsky, I feel in good company. I think that I was limited in my economic leftness by the ideas I have borrowed from Ayn Rand... (I love Anthem).

Oh well, for what it is worth, I figured that I would be a little closer to the middle, as virtue is found in the mean (Aristotle, though sometimes I think he lost track of that...).

Dhej
    The owl of Minerva spreads its wings only with the falling of dusk. -Hegel

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    economic -2.88 libertarian -1.85

Not quite Gandhi
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot